The Student Room Group

A level subject combination - medicine

Hi

This is a question for successful medicine applicants, what 3 A levels Combination did you take for undergraduate medicine? I know most of you will have chemistry and Biology, I’m interested in what your third subject choice was, I know some of you may even have 4 or more A levels. Would really luv to know.

Thanks,

🙂
(edited 11 months ago)
If you search the forum, you’ll find that there’s a lot of information on this already that you’ll probably find useful. In short, for almost every university, it really doesn’t matter what your third A-level is. Choose something that applies to your strengths and that you stand the best chance of getting a top grade in. If the uni doesn’t specify that they want a third science, then you won’t get extra credit for doing one instead of, say, German. Also worth considering that if a university’s standard offer is for 3 subjects, you don’t need to do 4 A-levels. Better to dedicate the time to getting three high grades that potentially water down the grades by spreading yourself more thinly.
Reply 2
Original post by junior.doctor
If you search the forum, you’ll find that there’s a lot of information on this already that you’ll probably find useful. In short, for almost every university, it really doesn’t matter what your third A-level is. Choose something that applies to your strengths and that you stand the best chance of getting a top grade in. If the uni doesn’t specify that they want a third science, then you won’t get extra credit for doing one instead of, say, German. Also worth considering that if a university’s standard offer is for 3 subjects, you don’t need to do 4 A-levels. Better to dedicate the time to getting three high grades that potentially water down the grades by spreading yourself more thinly.

Hi

Thank you for taking time out to reply, can I ask you what your 3 A levels are? I am already aware of everything you said, ideally, what I would like to see is the statistics for the A level combination of successful applicants for each university but as I don’t have that, I I’ll settle for asking people in this forum to see what answers I get.

Thanks
Original post by $exyRum
Hi

Thank you for taking time out to reply, can I ask you what your 3 A levels are? I am already aware of everything you said, ideally, what I would like to see is the statistics for the A level combination of successful applicants for each university but as I don’t have that, I I’ll settle for asking people in this forum to see what answers I get.

Thanks

I did my A-levels more than 20 years ago, so probably not at all relevant to your current thoughts on the A-levels most likely to give current success…

Seriously though - assuming this is for your personal ideas on choosing A-levels rather than any kind of formal project you’re writing - the only magic formula to A-level choice is picking something that plays to your own strengths and that you’ll get a high grade in. You’ll only get anecdotal evidence from a couple of randoms here - and that shouldn’t influence what you pick.
Reply 4
Original post by junior.doctor
I did my A-levels more than 20 years ago, so probably not at all relevant to your current thoughts on the A-levels most likely to give current success…

Seriously though - assuming this is for your personal ideas on choosing A-levels rather than any kind of formal project you’re writing - the only magic formula to A-level choice is picking something that plays to your own strengths and that you’ll get a high grade in. You’ll only get anecdotal evidence from a couple of randoms here - and that shouldn’t influence what you pick.

Hi.

I already know what I am going to pick, I’m just curious as to what successful applicants have studied for A-level.

Thanks.
Reply 5
Original post by $exyRum
Hi

This is a question for successful applicants, what 3 A levels Combination did you take for undergraduate medicine? I know most of you will have chemistry and Biology, I’m interested in what your third subject choice was, I know some of you may even have 4 or more A levels. Would really luv to know.

Thanks,

Not me but my bsf. He got an all 5 offers with bio, chem and maths. Maths makes your application more competitive most of the time
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
Not me but my bsf. He got an all 5 offers with bio, chem and maths. Maths makes your application more competitive most of the time

Hi

yes I have definitely noticed that a lot of successful medicine applicants do seem to have maths as their 3rd choice, usually biology, chemistry & maths. Unfortunately I am not good at maths so it’s out of the question for me. I’ve decided to do biology, chemistry and English literature. Your friend must have worked very hard, 5 offers is amazing. Well done to him, I’m jealous.
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by $exyRum
Hi

yes I have definitely noticed that a lot of successful applicants do seem to have maths as their 3rd choice, usually biology, chemistry & maths. Unfortunately I am not good at maths so it’s out of the question for me. I’ve decided to do biology, chemistry and English literature. Your friend must have worked very hard, 5 offers is amazing. Well done to him, I’m jealous.

I do dentistry but i didnt do maths!
Reply 8
Original post by $exyRum
Hi

This is a question for successful medicine applicants, what 3 A levels Combination did you take for undergraduate medicine? I know most of you will have chemistry and Biology, I’m interested in what your third subject choice was, I know some of you may even have 4 or more A levels. Would really luv to know.

Thanks,

🙂

My friend got 4 med offers (and 1 chem offer as backup), and he does chem, physics, maths and further maths. Quite a lot of unis you only need one of biology or chemistry for medicine apparently
Reply 9
Original post by rycbar.123
My friend got 4 med offers (and 1 chem offer as backup), and he does chem, physics, maths and further maths. Quite a lot of unis you only need one of biology or chemistry for medicine apparently

I’m always impressed by people who study stem and take maths and further maths at A level, very impressive. I wish I had that level of mathematical genius. I suspect the universities are very impressed also even if they don’t ask for it or explicitly say so.
(edited 11 months ago)
Chemistry, Biology and English Lit and got all four med school offers. Only Cambridge cares about having a third STEM subject
Original post by $exyRum
Hi

yes I have definitely noticed that a lot of successful medicine applicants do seem to have maths as their 3rd choice, usually biology, chemistry & maths. Unfortunately I am not good at maths so it’s out of the question for me. I’ve decided to do biology, chemistry and English literature. Your friend must have worked very hard, 5 offers is amazing. Well done to him, I’m jealous.

Very few Unis insist on Maths. What is important is to check out the individual requirements of the Unis you apply to.
My daughter did Geography, Biology and Chemistry- now a 4th year medic!
Reply 12
Original post by Medic's Mother
Very few Unis insist on Maths. What is important is to check out the individual requirements of the Unis you apply to.
My daughter did Geography, Biology and Chemistry- now a 4th year medic!

Hi

yes I know. I was just saying that many applicants do have A level maths, not that universities insist on it. I think a lot of premeds take it because it’s such a competitive course and they may feel challenging A levels such as maths makes them a more desirable candidate. Also it means they can apply to Cambridge if they wish.

congratulations on your daughter making it to her 4th year. That is excellent. Geography is a nice A level, I was considering it my self.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending