The Student Room Group

english gcse

hi, I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to revise for english? I'm finding it quite difficult and don't exactly know how I can improve it. I have tried exploring different questions and mark schemes and reading exemplar answers but am not seeing much improvement. My english predictive grade was said to be a 6 for both english language and literature. Reflecting on myself, I have found that I am someone who is more inclined towards science and maths and enjoy learning foreign languages as well (especially french!). I don't like reading fiction as such though have tried to in the past and much rather prefer to read encyclopaedias etc (which I know probably doesn't help really help my english!)
Does anyone have any advice please? Any materials that are recommended - maybe any specific books that i can read and annotate/study that will definitely help improve my english. The comments on my writing I get are usually to do with explaining how and linking back to the question - mainly structural issues but I just can't seem to figure out how I am supposed to this even after speaking to my teacher.
I am studying Othello for literature and the purple hibiscus as my novel for reference.

Thanks.
Original post by My.ang_lais
Omg I can totally relate to you. The structure with my answers are always the problem! Unfortunately I don't know about the literary works you're studying but I'm sure what I've learned and gathered can apply to you.

(I am going to reference myself as I don't know your whole situation but I believe mine to be very similar.)

Revision and practice is always the last step for learning to retain information. If this has no effect on your ability then I believe there's a crucial piece you've missed that's limiting you to progress further and you should spend time discovering the issue and working on it. I don't know how much time you have till your exams but it seems you've learned all other areas so redirecting your focus shouldn't damage your grades.

To get into reading more fiction I suggest picking up a story book you know you enjoyed. For me, my class studied Dickens' A Christmas Carol for eng. and I trust it to be good after finishing it. Everyday I try to pick it up and read a bit, after a while it has become much easier for me to continue reading a piece of fiction.

There are many possible issues that are hindering your ability: inability to comprehend texts, inability to trust your ability, a poor understanding on the recommended structure, a poor understanding of the text, inability to keep up with your thought, inability to translate your thoughts to paper etc.

(I'm sorry it's late rn so Imma speed this part sorry)

INABILITY TO COMPREHEND TEXTS
the text is probably too high level so find a peive that's more suited to your ability and gradually increase the level

INABILITY TO TRUST YOUR ABILITY
this results from what you've heard from others and what you believe to be you. A temporary fix is to not care at all and fully ignore any feelings of doubt. I discourage practicing this often as it can lead you to dismiss or become oblivious of your feelings. A gradual fix is to believe in yourself.

INABILITY TO TRANSLATE THOUGHT TO PAPER
have a sperate sheet where you'll collect any tjought that comes to mind. Don't write full sentences, make them short to complement the rate of your rapid thinking. Draw lines to join ideas. Group ideas in a bubble if you think they can make a paragraph. Do whatever helps your mind to flow, writing is a creative practice. Then order them into a structure and just slot all your ideas into the spaces of the answer structure your school teaches you.

Im sorry I'll be ending it here, I had hoped to offer more advice actually I'm not sure if mine apllied to you uh

hi, thanks for your reply. i find that i tend to over complicate things like A LOT. which is why with subjects like religious studies my arguments and thoughts are seen as very strong compared to the average person's (well according to my teachers anyways lol). but for subjects like english where you have to say what the text says without saying what the text says (that's what i've been told anyways lol) i get told that i overcomplicate things too much but at the same time don't structure things right... but thanks, ur tips do seem pretty helpful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending