The Student Room Group

Can I retake English GCSE in year 13 for university application?

I got a rather disappointing 4 in english language GCSE, now in year 12 I realise universities I want to apply to require 5 or sometimes 6 in their courses. I want to do business/marketing in unis outside of London like Exeter, can I retake english language in year 13 and apply to these unis and how does this affect my timing of UCAS application?

I heard that retaking means the unis will get both the real grade and a predicted grade for the GCSE, will that work? (I'm eligible for contextual offer if that helps)
I'm not sure about re-taking GCSEs however, instead of re-taking the entire GCSE, you may be able to do an alternative English language test such as the IELTS academic or the TOEFL. These test are mainly designed for international applicants that don't have English as their first language, however some universities will also accept them for home applicants. There will probably be multiple test centres near you offering one of these tests although you will have to pay for the test
To be on the safe side, I would still email any universities you want to apply to to see if they accept alternative English language tests for home applicants (most will have an admissions email listed on their website).
(Original post by Victor G)I got a rather disappointing 4 in english language GCSE, now in year 12 I realise universities I want to apply to require 5 or sometimes 6 in their courses. I want to do business/marketing in unis outside of London like Exeter, can I retake english language in year 13 and apply to these unis and how does this affect my timing of UCAS application?

I heard that retaking means the unis will get both the real grade and a predicted grade for the GCSE, will that work? (I'm eligible for contextual offer if that helps)

Yes you can retake in year 13. Universities make offers in the normal way but add a set grade at GCSE to your conditions. You would need to wait for your GCSE result before you will confirm you have got in.
You will find other unis accept grade 4. Here is an example from Southampton. Do your research

Applicants must hold GCSE English language (or GCSE English) (minimum grade 4/C
Reply 4
Original post by Victor G
I got a rather disappointing 4 in english language GCSE, now in year 12 I realise universities I want to apply to require 5 or sometimes 6 in their courses. I want to do business/marketing in unis outside of London like Exeter, can I retake english language in year 13 and apply to these unis and how does this affect my timing of UCAS application?

Check whether you need to.

The exam can be resat in November [it costs] - you have to put your original grade on UCAS and then add again with the grade as pending.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending