The Student Room Group

Is switching law firms common?

Hello!

For anyone who knows ab being a solicitor, do you know by any chance if switching law firms is common? Is there any possibility of switching law firms after training at a firm with a training contract or a degree apprenticeship? Or is that the firm I should be loyal to for the rest of my legal career?

Thanks to anyone who can give some guidance.
You're not selling your soul to the law firm by doing a TC with them...

It's normal in almost every industry to move between employers over the course of a career.

Of course, there are better and worse times to do this, and if you keep hopping jobs every couple years that starts looking rather bad to future prospective employers.
Reply 2
Hey,
Thanks for replying! What challenges do you think might come with doing a degree apprenticeship or a TC with another law firm and trying to end up at a US law firm or a Magic Circle law firm?
Original post by purplebarney
Hello!

For anyone who knows ab being a solicitor, do you know by any chance if switching law firms is common? Is there any possibility of switching law firms after training at a firm with a training contract or a degree apprenticeship? Or is that the firm I should be loyal to for the rest of my legal career?

Thanks to anyone who can give some guidance.

Hi there, yes trainees do sometimes move firms after qualifying!

Hey,
Thanks for replying! What challenges do you think might come with doing a degree apprenticeship or a TC with another law firm and trying to end up at a US law firm or a Magic Circle law firm?

The main challenge will be having to interview with another firm for a position as an external candidate.
Reply 4
Thanks so much genuinely!
Reply 5
Might think about degree apprenticeships now!
Might think about degree apprenticeships now!

Go for it! There are a fair amount of solicitor apprentices at the firm I work for and it's such a good way to qualify. I once heard one partner say that the NQs who were apprentices are often better than those who were trainees as six years really gives you time to get to grips with law in practice and apprentices work in several more teams/departments before qualifying.
Reply 7
I'll drop a fuller answer through tomorrow (including re US/MC) but as a quick starter - many solicitors move firms throughout their careers. It's a job like any other - sometimes staying with an employer for a long time is a good move, sometimes not. I have colleagues who've worked at the same firm for 15 years - in the same timeframe I've just started work at my fifth workplace.
Reply 8
To follow up on earlier post... it's very common to move, not everyone does of course but I'd say most solicitors do and as long as you don't job hop too frequently (repeated moves every 1-2 years for example without good reason) it wouldn't be viewed negatively by employers at all. Provided you had relevant experience working for large corporate clients plenty of solicitors move to MC/US firms later in their careers after a couple of years PQE - this could be from a large regional firm (think DLA / Pinsents etc...), or from a "smaller" but still larger London firm

Solicitors might move for all sorts of reasons which include...

moving to a new city or country

moving to a larger firm OR smaller firm

moving on qualification if there's not an NQ job going in your preferred field

moving for a promotion

moving in-house (or back into a law firm)

I've moved 5 times in my career and it's never held me back - each role has been a step up OR an opportunity to learn new skills and broaden my training - I moved on qualification (no role available in corporate), then geographic move to London after a couple of years, then after 6 years a move into industry as an in-house solicitor, then after 4 years another recent move for a promotion (in-house - same sector).
Reply 9
Original post by UniofLaw Student
Hi @purplebarney

Switching law firms isn't uncommon. For example, people relocate, their family situation chances or their practice changes and it makes sense to switch. Usually, if a firm has paid to train you, then you will be obliged under a contract to work there for a couple of years (make sure to check this before accepting any kind of TC). However, you certainly don't have to stay there for the rest of your career if you don't want to!

I hope this helps and good luck 🙂

Sophie

Sophie - that's not quite right.

Where a firm has paid for the GDL/LPC (or SQE courses) they might include a "repayment of training costs" clause where if you leave within a year or so of qualifying (having been offered an NQ role) there is a repayment of part of those training costs, depending on how soon the departure is.

This is far from universal and typically only applies where an NQ role has been applied for and offered - and doesn't stop you departing (many many solicitors move on qualification).

Employment contracts in the UK can't lock you into a role for years - the ability to leave is solely determined by your notice period which will typically be 3 months for a solicitor.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending