The Student Room Group

Computer Science Storage question

Hello I am doing Computer Science GSCE and I am struggling on exam technique. I am predicted a 9 but I know I will lose marks in the real exam if I do not master my exam technique. Please can you mark this question for me as I want to get feedback from real people.

The question is:

Kerry was originally going to use an optical storage device to transfer her files.
Discuss whether an optical or solid state device is the most appropriate media to transfer
these files.
You may want to consider the following characteristics in your answer:
portability
robustness
capacity
cost
8Marks in total

If Kerry wants to transport her files between different locations a solid state device would be more suitable as it has no moving parts so it would be shock-proof and robust in case Kerry drops it while transporting it.

However, an optical device would be easily damaged by shocks and scratches. If Kerry is on a budget an optical device would likely be more suitable, as solid state storage is more expensive per GB of storage while optical storage is very cheap per GB so Kerry would save money if she bought an optical storage device.

However, if Kerry wants to transfer a large amount of files optical storage typically has a much lower capacity than solid state storage so she may have to purchase multiple optical discs as opposed to just one solid state drive.

In terms of portability, both optical and solid state storage are very lightweight, however optical storage is slightly smaller than solid state storage which may make it easier for Kerry to transport her

I would really appreciate any feedback

Quick Reply

Latest