The Student Room Group

Reapplying to Oxford

Hi everyone, I am looking for some advice, I am currently sitting AH exams in Chemistry, Physics and Maths. I applied to Oxford for Materials Science and was rejected. Grades aside I am confused with what happens if I choose to take a gap year, I would be losing offers at good unis and just need some advice on what the next best steps are.
Thanks
Original post by Anonymous
Hi everyone, I am looking for some advice, I am currently sitting AH exams in Chemistry, Physics and Maths. I applied to Oxford for Materials Science and was rejected. Grades aside I am confused with what happens if I choose to take a gap year, I would be losing offers at good unis and just need some advice on what the next best steps are.
Thanks

Hi. I’m a successful reapplicant to Oxford (albeit for Chemistry, rather than materials science).

If you take a gap year in order to reapply, then you will absolutely have to decline any offers you get now. Oxford will not accept applications from anyone who has already stared a degree elsewhere, nor do they accept transfers.

What you should do in your gap year (and in the meantime) if you are dead-set on reapplying, is make sure you take up more supercurriculars (e.g participate in relevant competitions like the chemistry Olympiad), try mentoring other students and get practice interviews (so as to get used to articulating your thoughts out loud).

It’s now too late to request feedback if you haven’t already, but if you do have feedback, use it as a guideline as to where your weakpoints are.
Hi Thank you so much for getting back to me, with balancing getting As for AH I didn't meet the threshold for the PAT, I was told all my other UCAS grades were sufficient to invite me to interview. When you mean super curricular would you recommend doing tutoring to keep fresh on knowledge? I don't want to intrude into your personal journey, but seeing as there are little applicants coming from here I am just seeking advice. Would a job/apprenticeship at an engineering firm help? I have multiple questions but I don't want to bore you!!!

thanks again
Original post by TypicalNerd
Hi. I’m a successful reapplicant to Oxford (albeit for Chemistry, rather than materials science).

If you take a gap year in order to reapply, then you will absolutely have to decline any offers you get now. Oxford will not accept applications from anyone who has already stared a degree elsewhere, nor do they accept transfers.

What you should do in your gap year (and in the meantime) if you are dead-set on reapplying, is make sure you take up more supercurriculars (e.g participate in relevant competitions like the chemistry Olympiad), try mentoring other students and get practice interviews (so as to get used to articulating your thoughts out loud).

It’s now too late to request feedback if you haven’t already, but if you do have feedback, use it as a guideline as to where your weakpoints are.
Hi Thank you so much for getting back to me, with balancing getting As for AH I didn't meet the threshold for the PAT, I was told all my other UCAS grades were sufficient to invite me to interview. When you mean super curricular would you recommend doing tutoring to keep fresh on knowledge? I don't want to intrude into your personal journey, but seeing as there are little applicants coming from here I am just seeking advice. Would a job/apprenticeship at an engineering firm help? I have multiple questions but I don't want to bore you!!!

thanks again

You can ask whatever questions you need to.

Yes, tutoring is good because it does help keep your knowledge of your subjects alive and also it gives your practice with working in groups and articulating your thoughts- essential skills for your interviews and useful to mention on your personal statement. It’s not essential, but it’s definitely a big help.

A job or apprenticeship could work. As long as you can write about the ways in which it has benefited you (especially academically speaking), then it may be well worth a mention on your personal statement. You may also have more money at your disposal as a result of taking up a job or apprenticeship, which will come in handy.

Have you found any interesting books on materials science that you are yet to read? If you take a gap year, hopefully you’ll have the time to look into reading them and getting an idea of what current research into materials science entails. Since Oxford is a research university, it is well worth looking into this.

And another piece of advice I should mention. Do not apply directly to the college(s) you were interviewed by last time round. Find a new college that takes your fancy.
I have got most of the books on the Oxford Material Reading List and intend to read them and do somewhat of a book review purely for interview. I know that with this being the last cycle with the personal statement this can help me even more. I have read multiple posts saying that Oxford does not like students reapplying, I thought it was the exact opposite. My problem last time was the PAT and being from Scotland the courses are different but i have now completed the courses and think this would help. When they mean take a gap year, do they mean withdraw from this cycles UCAS and apply this same year or take a full year away. My idea was that I would be reapplying this cycle as in starting 2024
Original post by TypicalNerd
You can ask whatever questions you need to.

Yes, tutoring is good because it does help keep your knowledge of your subjects alive and also it gives your practice with working in groups and articulating your thoughts- essential skills for your interviews and useful to mention on your personal statement. It’s not essential, but it’s definitely a big help.

A job or apprenticeship could work. As long as you can write about the ways in which it has benefited you (especially academically speaking), then it may be well worth a mention on your personal statement. You may also have more money at your disposal as a result of taking up a job or apprenticeship, which will come in handy.

Have you found any interesting books on materials science that you are yet to read? If you take a gap year, hopefully you’ll have the time to look into reading them and getting an idea of what current research into materials science entails. Since Oxford is a research university, it is well worth looking into this.

And another piece of advice I should mention. Do not apply directly to the college(s) you were interviewed by last time round. Find a new college that takes your fancy.
I have got most of the books on the Oxford Material Reading List and intend to read them and do somewhat of a book review purely for interview. I know that with this being the last cycle with the personal statement this can help me even more. I have read multiple posts saying that Oxford does not like students reapplying, I thought it was the exact opposite. My problem last time was the PAT and being from Scotland the courses are different but i have now completed the courses and think this would help. When they mean take a gap year, do they mean withdraw from this cycles UCAS and apply this same year or take a full year away. My idea was that I would be reapplying this cycle as in starting 2024

I couldn’t remember whether this cycle or the next was the last where personal statements were required, but I imagine the proposed alternative to the PS will essentially comprise a structured personal statement, so my advice above should still hold.

If you take a gap year at the end of this academic year, then you would apply for 2024 entry on UCAS/whatever by the fifteenth of October of this year. Assuming you get an offer, you will then start your course in October 2024, so you’ll have the whole period spanning from September 2023 to October 2024 to spend however you so choose (ofc with your interviews in December 2023, which you will need to set time aside for).
I think you have to really think about the possibility you may not get in next year- then what? Could you see yourself happy at the undoubtedly great other unis that have accepted you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending