The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Does anyone have any idea on how marks are given?

I'm still thinking of how points are given.

For instance, advantages of privatisation.

1. competition is enabled when industries are privatized (1%) as non productive staff are more easily eliminated (1%)

does this mean I will get 2 marks?

and if I add a disadvantage to this point, eg, this will create more redundancies. I'd get 3%?

usually, 8-12% is level 4
and 6-7, 7-8 is level 3 I suppose?
therefore I do not need to add disadvantages for level 3 questions?

meaning that for each question,
level 3,only 3 points + elaboration? definition + without conclusion
and for level 4, 3 points+elaboration+cons/pros? definition + 1 conclusion

hmm??
Reply 81
the question is the difference in objectives between the privatised vin and spirit and the nationalized vin and spirit. the answer asked us to focus on profit maximization, social responsibility and survival. and thanks jitman...i will start broadnin my knowledge!
Reply 82
what about mixed economy guys? can there be questions on the beniifts of there being mixed economy in the uk?
Reply 83
any one worker on the benifits to nationalised firms if they had gone global? i dont think thats very important but it could cum.
Reply 84
Can someone please post the tool kit?
Thanks
Reply 85
yes, tool kit would really help me - thanks :smile:
Reply 86
Nes
the question is the difference in objectives between the privatised vin and spirit and the nationalized vin and spirit. the answer asked us to focus on profit maximization, social responsibility and survival. and thanks jitman...i will start broadnin my knowledge!

m not sure which question were u talkin bout here.... could u clarify a lil more plz
thanx
Reply 87
xyz19
Does anyone have any idea on how marks are given?

I'm still thinking of how points are given.

For instance, advantages of privatisation.

1. competition is enabled when industries are privatized (1%) as non productive staff are more easily eliminated (1%)

does this mean I will get 2 marks?

and if I add a disadvantage to this point, eg, this will create more redundancies. I'd get 3%?

usually, 8-12% is level 4
and 6-7, 7-8 is level 3 I suppose?
therefore I do not need to add disadvantages for level 3 questions?

meaning that for each question,
level 3,only 3 points + elaboration? definition + without conclusion
and for level 4, 3 points+elaboration+cons/pros? definition + 1 conclusion

hmm??

anyone has any idea?
Reply 88
hey i was jus asking could someone please summarize topic that i should be revising for ma unit 1 retake.
also if anyones doing unit 6 retake the promotions thing and the unit 10 marketing exam could u also give me the main topics to revise.
thank
Reply 89
I got anoda point i wana clarify, the swedis government planned to sell of few nationalized firms at the end of the case, but why are the deregulating the pharmacy company instead of just selling it off.
Reply 90
More like the benifits of deregulation over privatisation.
Reply 91
crazymujib
m not sure which question were u talkin bout here.... could u clarify a lil more plz
thanx

the first question in fahim's predicted questions..he also gave the answer points with it..
Reply 92
okay..can anyone help me point down how might the vodaphone have had better quality of management, had been more efficient and also bigger than BT even though it started around the time when BT got privatised.

we may get questins about social factor.. what social factors should the government take into consideration before privatising thier state owned firms...for the swedish company...

and, the labour cost have decreased in all industries after privatisation, how may it effect the general public?

why would the swedish government want job preservation.

and plz explain what capital costs are, is it the the cost of machinary stuffs like that?

we may get questions of how the increasein capital cost might effect the private sector firms.

how is the BA trying to remain competitive.
i ges here we will talk about cost control, marketing and customer service as mentioned in the case.
Reply 93
also, how might a public private partnership benifit the swedish companies?

i wanna know more about public private partnership so if anyone here can help out i will be very thankful.
Reply 94
This an update of my work I am very sorry especially to Nes and xyz to make u ppl wait I am in a hurry now so I am not explaining the points tonight I will post some more updates, Insha-Allah by tonigh I will solve all your queries. Nes I have chckd ur answers I need to type them so u get the reply by 2n8 in the meantime I have added some more question u can work on them plus u can c my sample answer on Deregulation to get an Idea of writing styles
Reply 95
whoah! fahim! the sample answer freaked me out...i will never be able to reach that level within seven days. God help me!
Reply 96
BUT ur work was great! thank a LOT!
Reply 97
Nes

why would the swedish government want job preservation.

and plz explain what capital costs are, is it the the cost of machinary stuffs like that?

Well...bro what job preservation is btw...to reduce contribution to the unemployment rate...i hope u get...and why reduce unemployment rate...just read a book...and yes capital costs are long term expenses as buying fixed assets....
Private-Public Partnership: describes a government service or private business venture which is funded and operated through a partnership of government and one or more private firms.

Advantages:

Prevents public interest from being explioted.

Government can make sure social factors such as the environment are taken into consideration.

Gives the firm access to more resources.

Disadvantages:

Hasn't been applied to large multinational businesses.

So far only schools, health-clubs and non-profit organisations are PPP's.

Political influence. (Don't think this'll be appropriate)

Government might prevent actions which will harm the domestic firms. (anti-competitive).

These are all the points I can come up with atm, if you find anything, please do post it. You can also contrast how this will prevent problems that occurred in the UK such as falling labour costs (unemployment), rise in transportation costs
oh and....Capital costs are the costs incurred by a business which will benefit them for a long period of time, such as purchase of land, fixed assets etc.

Latest