The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Will I be granted entry even though my results have dropped?

I've applied for Architecture at the University of Manchester and have firmed it as my first choice. They require AAA for A levels and so were my predicted grades. They've given me a condition of AAA. If I happen to obtain AAB, will they still take me? since i've firmed the choice?
Original post by ibrahimmrashad
I've applied for Architecture at the University of Manchester and have firmed it as my first choice. They require AAA for A levels and so were my predicted grades. They've given me a condition of AAA. If I happen to obtain AAB, will they still take me? since i've firmed the choice?

About a week before A level result day, the universities will be given access to everyone's A level results. For those who've met their offer conditions, their place will be confirmed. (This applies to those who firmed Manchester, and those who selected it as their insurance choice, but didn't meet their firm offer elsewhere.)

If, having done that, they still have space left on the course, then they'll look at their "near miss" candidates (such as you on AAB) and may decide to confirm your place anyway. Alternatively, they may open-up the course to the UCAS Clearing process instead, in the hope of getting some AAA (or above) students onto the course that way.

As a result of the way this works, nobody (not even the Admissions team at Manchester) can tell you whether they'd accept you at AAB. It depends on the numbers.

What is your insurance choice? Would you be equally happy there?
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
im doing Cambridge International A Levels.My insurance choice is UCL but I prefer Manchester
Original post by DataVenia
About a week before A level result day, the universities will be given access to everyone's A level results. For those who've met their offer conditions, their place will be confirmed. (This applies to those who firmed Manchester, and those who selected it as their insurance choice, but didn't meet their firm offer elsewhere.)

If, having done that, they still have space left on the course, then they'll look at their "near miss" candidates (such as you on AAB) and may decide to confirm your place anyway. Alternatively, they may open-up the course to the UCAS Clearing process instead, in the hope of getting some AAA (or above) students onto the course that way.

As a result of the way this works, nobody (not even the Admissions team at Manchester) can tell you whether they'd accept you at AAB. It depends on the numbers.

What is your insurance choice? Would you be equally happy there?
im doing Cambridge International A Levels.My insurance choice is UCL but I prefer Manchester

Understood. Is your UCL offer AAB?

So if you missed Manchester's AAA offer and they opted not to accept you as a "near miss", you'd still meet UCL's offer?
Reply 4
my UCL offer is also AAA. :.(
Original post by DataVenia
Understood. Is your UCL offer AAB?

So if you missed Manchester's AAA offer and they opted not to accept you as a "near miss", you'd still meet UCL's offer?
my UCL offer is also AAA. :.(

Ah - your firm (Manchester) and insurance (UCL) offers are both AAA? So your insurance offer only provides some form of protection against missing your AAA grades if Manchester don't accept you as a "near miss" candidate but UCL do accept you as a "near miss" candidate? This relies on UCL having more spaces available because more UCL offer-holders miss their grades, compared to Manchester. I'm not sure how realistic that scenario is. Is sounds like you don't really have a viable insurance offer. You'd better get studying, in the hope of hitting AAA then!

im also firming architecture at manchester! my offer was AAB cuz i had epq so since other people are getting in with AAB they might consider it
Original post by arch17
im also firming architecture at manchester! my offer was AAB cuz i had epq so since other people are getting in with AAB they might consider it

Yes but thats because you have epq. Just because they are giving out lower offers to dome people doesnt mean if you get a higher offer but miss the grades they will have you.
Original post by Emmmaaaa...
Yes but thats because you have epq. Just because they are giving out lower offers to dome people doesnt mean if you get a higher offer but miss the grades they will have you.

yeah thats why i said they might consider because when i spoke to liverpool/nottingham they said they would consider if you marginally missed grades so msa might do a similar thing but ive not had a chance to ask them - @ibrahimmrashad try emailing them and asking directly what their policy is
Reply 9
okay thanks. yes i have emailed them
Original post by arch17
yeah thats why i said they might consider because when i spoke to liverpool/nottingham they said they would consider if you marginally missed grades so msa might do a similar thing but ive not had a chance to ask them - @ibrahimmrashad try emailing them and asking directly what their policy is
If you miss your conditional offer, the university has no obligation to accept you however at their discretion they can.

How likely are they to accept you? Nobody can really comment until results day, it will depend on how many students they can accept & how many other offers they made, how many of these students firm’d this course, how well these students do, is there any space at either a university or a course level...

Just focus on doing well on your A-levels, hopefully you’ll get what you need however if you miss just see what happens.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending