The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Clearing - Warwick

Are you likely to get a place in clearing from Warwick if you received an offer but your grades are much lower than what you expected? - can be another course.

Thanks
Original post by Sociologo2.0
Are you likely to get a place in clearing from Warwick if you received an offer but your grades are much lower than what you expected? - can be another course.

Thanks

No, that's not how clearing works.

If you hold an offer from a uni and miss your grades, they will consider if you are a near miss applicant and whether they can still accept you. If you get rejected on results day it means they have already considered that and can't make you an offer. Even if the course is in clearing they aren't going to change their mind - and if the course is due to be in clearing they will have already factored that into their earlier decision.

Universities do not routinely signifcantly drop entry standards for clearing, and as noted will have already considered their near misses before the main part of clearing opens on A-level results day (clearing has been running since IB results day but the majority of places are added for A-level results day when they know their numbers).

If you are wanting to change course via clearing then you may be able to do so, but you still need to meet the standard entry criteria for that course normally. If they are lower than for the course you hold an offer for then so be it; if not though don't assume the entry criteria will be lower in clearing as the normally will not be.
(edited 8 months ago)
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Thank you so much for such informative info.

When you say they will consider you for clearing - what if it is another course I want that is unrelated? Because they won't know that I would also go with that course if I didn't get a place on the original one or is it when I call them that they will take into account that I held an offer with the original course and priorities this? if that makes sense

Also, if I have extenuating circumstances / missed some A Level exams - from your experience have you seen them being understanding of these situations?

Thank you very much!
Original post by artful_lounger
No, that's not how clearing works.

If you hold an offer from a uni and miss your grades, they will consider if you are a near miss applicant and whether they can still accept you. If you get rejected on results day it means they have already considered that and can't make you an offer. Even if the course is in clearing they aren't going to change their mind - and if the course is due to be in clearing they will have already factored that into their earlier decision.

Universities do not routinely signifcantly drop entry standards for clearing, and as noted will have already considered their near misses before the main part of clearing opens on A-level results day (clearing has been running since IB results day but the majority of places are added for A-level results day when they know their numbers).

If you are wanting to change course via clearing then you may be able to do so, but you still need to meet the standard entry criteria for that course normally. If they are lower than for the course you hold an offer for then so be it; if not though don't assume the entry criteria will be lower in clearing as the normally will not be.
Original post by Sociologo2.0
Thank you so much for such informative info.

When you say they will consider you for clearing - what if it is another course I want that is unrelated? Because they won't know that I would also go with that course if I didn't get a place on the original one or is it when I call them that they will take into account that I held an offer with the original course and priorities this? if that makes sense

Also, if I have extenuating circumstances / missed some A Level exams - from your experience have you seen them being understanding of these situations?

Thank you very much!

Your best bet if you want to do another course and know it now is to contact them in advance. Otherwise it would be a process of going through clearing as normal. When I refer to them considering you for the course in clearing I mean the same course, and it's not as a clearing application, they will just consider you as a near miss applicant with that context (that they are trying to fill the course) known.

If you have extenuating circumstances you need to apply for these to your exam board through your school's exam officer. You probably should have done this already. Universities will accept the exam board's decision on the extenuating circumstances and will usually not make any other accommodations to avoid "double dipping" on them with the exam board.

Quick Reply

Latest