The Student Room Group

Should I drop FM?

Hi! I've just started year 13 and am predicted all A*s in chem, phys, maths and FM. I got an A in AS FM which is the only AS that I did.
Can someone let me know how essential FM is for studying natsci at Cambridge and at Bath please?
I can't decide whether to drop it because although my grade predictions and my AS result indicate that I can do it, I feel I'm struggling and I've been pretty stressed and exhausted after just a few days back at school! Maybe this is just a confidence thing and I just need to plough through. Just looking for advice :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by edie_mccredie
Hi! I've just started year 13 and am predicted all A*s in chem, phys, maths and FM. I got an A in AS FM which is the only AS that I did.
Can someone let me know how essential FM is for studying natsci at Cambridge and at Bath please?
I can't decide whether to drop it because although my grade predictions and my AS result indicate that I can do it, I feel I'm struggling and I've been pretty stressed and exhausted after just a few days back at school! Maybe this is just a confidence thing and I just need to plough through. Just looking for advice :smile:

If you are applying for Natural science physical at Cambridge, FM does look important given that 90% of those that got in had FM:

Natural Sciences (Physical)

For 2017, 2018 and 2019 entry, the majority of entrants from an A Level background achieved at least grades A*A*A* (91% of entrants). All of these successful applicants took Mathematics, 90% took Further Mathematics, 8% took Biology, 89% took Chemistry and 96% took Physics
If you want to go to Oxbridge desperately you kinda require Further Maths for a very competitive application for any stem course. It is of course possible without though if it will cripple your other results
Reply 3
Original post by edie_mccredie

You don't need FM for Bath :smile:
It might be useful if you're studying physics as one of your subjects (as I'm assuming you will be?) because you also do maths, but I'm pretty sure it's not a requirement, and there's maths support available if you need it. I think even for pure/single stream physics FM isn't essential.
I know a few (non-physics) NatSci people at Bath who didn't do maths at A level at all, and they're doing amazingly.
If you're struggling and it's stressing you out, I'd say drop it. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest