The Student Room Group

Student finance options for studying Graduate Entry Medicine

Hi, looking for a bit of clarity. I've previously graduated with an undergraduate degree back in 2020 and started studying for a masters the following year (receiving help from student finance wales for both courses). I unfortunately had to drop out of my masters halfway through the year due to having to take full time care of my mother.

Now circumstances have changed I've been looking at applying for Graduate Entry Medicine this year for 2024 entry. My question is whether because I had previous funding for a postgraduate course which I didn't complete, whether I would be ineliglbe for recieving a tuition loan to help with the tuition fees?

I understand that the first £3465 for the first year of the course would be payed directly by myself. But could I get a tuition loan to cover the remaining amount plus the amount not covered by the NHS bursary for the remaining years?

If anyone could shed some light that would be great!
Cheers
Original post by throwaway243
Hi, looking for a bit of clarity. I've previously graduated with an undergraduate degree back in 2020 and started studying for a masters the following year (receiving help from student finance wales for both courses). I unfortunately had to drop out of my masters halfway through the year due to having to take full time care of my mother.

Now circumstances have changed I've been looking at applying for Graduate Entry Medicine this year for 2024 entry. My question is whether because I had previous funding for a postgraduate course which I didn't complete, whether I would be ineliglbe for recieving a tuition loan to help with the tuition fees?

I understand that the first £3465 for the first year of the course would be payed directly by myself. But could I get a tuition loan to cover the remaining amount plus the amount not covered by the NHS bursary for the remaining years?

If anyone could shed some light that would be great!
Cheers

Hi there,

Graduate Entry Medicine fudning works like this. We'll break it down for both the Tuition Fee and Maintenance Loans:

Tuition Fee Loan:

Year 1 You will have to self fund the first £3,465, however a tuition fee loan will be available for the remainder of up to £5,785.

Years 2-4 - The first £3,715 will be paid by the Department of Health and a tuition fee loan will be available for the remainder of up to £5,535.

Maintenance Loan:

Year 1 You can apply for a Full Means Tested Maintenance Loan and Supplementary Grants.

Years 2-4 You can apply for the Income Assessed NHS Bursary and Supplementary Grants from the NHS. You can only apply to SFE for a Reduced Rate Maintenance Loan.

Thanks, Graeme

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending