The Student Room Group

As part of an apprenticeship, do you give personal details to the training provider

Or the employer?
Original post by Anony345533
Or the employer?

If, by personal details, you mean name, address and phone number, then I'd be surprised if it's not both.

Why do you ask? Are you in witness protection or something? :wink:
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
If, by personal details, you mean name, address and phone number, then I'd be surprised if it's not both.

Why do you ask? Are you in witness protection or something? :wink:

I mean NI number and they ask for GCSE/A Level certificates sometimes.

I'm asking because I gave these details to my training provider but I am not doing the apprenticeship anymore and decided last minute like the day I was meant to start that the location is not convenient and is way too far for me.
I mean NI number and they ask for GCSE/A Level certificates sometimes.

I'm asking because I gave these details to my training provider but I am not doing the apprenticeship anymore and decided last minute like the day I was meant to start that the location is not convenient and is way too far for me.

OK. Your question was "As part of an apprenticeship, do you give personal details to the training provider or the employer?

You've explained that you gave those details the training provider. Have you not just answered your own question?
Reply 4
OK. Your question was "As part of an apprenticeship, do you give personal details to the training provider or the employer?

You've explained that you gave those details the training provider. Have you not just answered your own question?

Yeah but I am also unsure whether these details would go to my employer. I am worried that the training provider and my employer could do something with those details, I kept debating whether to decline because I wasn't 100% happy with it and there were more factors other than main one being location being the reason why I wanted to decline (male dominated) and I kept putting off declining because they have all my personal information including phone numbers, emails, maths and English GCSE certificates and AS Level certificate. They have so much more.

Do they delete these things under GDPR?

I also wonder whether they will treat me fairly when it comes to another application, because I applied with the same training provider and different employer and it's in a much more convenient location. My other job kept changing the location, advertising it for it to be in one location that isn't even built yet so they keep switching between the main site and the second site. The second site is too far so that's why I declined. Clearly they don't know what to do themselves. I declined 20 minutes before I was supposed to meet my manager and would have been half an hour late anyway.
Yeah but I am also unsure whether these details would go to my employer. I am worried that the training provider and my employer could do something with those details, I kept debating whether to decline because I wasn't 100% happy with it and there were more factors other than main one being location being the reason why I wanted to decline (male dominated) and I kept putting off declining because they have all my personal information including phone numbers, emails, maths and English GCSE certificates and AS Level certificate. They have so much more.

Do they delete these things under GDPR?

I also wonder whether they will treat me fairly when it comes to another application, because I applied with the same training provider and different employer and it's in a much more convenient location. My other job kept changing the location, advertising it for it to be in one location that isn't even built yet so they keep switching between the main site and the second site. The second site is too far so that's why I declined. Clearly they don't know what to do themselves. I declined 20 minutes before I was supposed to meet my manager and would have been half an hour late anyway.

OK. So your actual question was, "When I provide my personal details to the training provider, do they pass those into the employer?" I don't know the answer, but I'd be very surprised if they don't.

Anyway, the employer knowing your details doesn't seem to be the issue. You say, "I applied with the same training provider and different employer and it's in a much more convenient location." The training provides knows your details, as you provided them, and this is a different employer who has no idea that you bailed on the first employer at the last minute.

So the only party which involved in both apprenticeships has all of your details. They might have concluded that you're unreliable, and be reluctant when dealing with you in future. Or they might be used to this sort of thing and pay no attention to it.

If you're worried about the original employer being "vindictive" in some way, and misusing your information, that's not going to happen. The fines for misusing information are enormous now - they just won't take the risk.

(In terms of data deletion under GDPR, that will happen - but it won't happen immediately. They'll probably only delete it after 6 months or a year. That's perfectly legitimate under GDPR.)
Reply 6
OK. So your actual question was, "When I provide my personal details to the training provider, do they pass those into the employer?" I don't know the answer, but I'd be very surprised if they don't.

Anyway, the employer knowing your details doesn't seem to be the issue. You say, "I applied with the same training provider and different employer and it's in a much more convenient location." The training provides knows your details, as you provided them, and this is a different employer who has no idea that you bailed on the first employer at the last minute.

So the only party which involved in both apprenticeships has all of your details. They might have concluded that you're unreliable, and be reluctant when dealing with you in future. Or they might be used to this sort of thing and pay no attention to it.

If you're worried about the original employer being "vindictive" in some way, and misusing your information, that's not going to happen. The fines for misusing information are enormous now - they just won't take the risk.

(In terms of data deletion under GDPR, that will happen - but it won't happen immediately. They'll probably only delete it after 6 months or a year. That's perfectly legitimate under GDPR.)

Would I be able to speak to the training provider and switch employers? I know people who do this but I don't know if this is the case only when you start the apprenticeship, I didn't even start it. I know people who either switch training providers or switch employers while they are doing their apprenticeship (but my question is regarding switching employers). So when I said I applied for a role that is with the same training provider and different employer, can I switch employers and do my apprenticeship that way or does that only work if you start your apprenticeship and then switch employers? Do I have to start again and do the interview?
Would I be able to speak to the training provider and switch employers? I know people who do this but I don't know if this is the case only when you start the apprenticeship, I didn't even start it. I know people who either switch training providers or switch employers while they are doing their apprenticeship (but my question is regarding switching employers). So when I said I applied for a role that is with the same training provider and different employer, can I switch employers and do my apprenticeship that way or does that only work if you start your apprenticeship and then switch employers? Do I have to start again and do the interview?

I'm afraid I don't know the answers to these questions. I suggest you ask your training provider on Tuesday.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending