The Student Room Group

Time management in a level exams

I do geography, psychology and english lit and I am really struggling with time management on geography and english lit. I was wondering if anyone had any tips?

For Geography, I don't even write too much but I struggle to finish in time so my last 20 marker is always so rushed that i only get like 10 marks. It usually happens because I spend too long on the 12 markers, I really can't complete them in just 15 minutes. I know people will say to write less but I don't really write that much more than whats reccomended and I don't want to risk writing too litte. I was thinking in my exam i may just answer all the 12 and 20 mark questions first, but I don't know if that's too risky.
Reply 1
Original post by purple256
I do geography, psychology and english lit and I am really struggling with time management on geography and english lit. I was wondering if anyone had any tips?

For Geography, I don't even write too much but I struggle to finish in time so my last 20 marker is always so rushed that i only get like 10 marks. It usually happens because I spend too long on the 12 markers, I really can't complete them in just 15 minutes. I know people will say to write less but I don't really write that much more than whats reccomended and I don't want to risk writing too litte. I was thinking in my exam i may just answer all the 12 and 20 mark questions first, but I don't know if that's too risky.

for English Lit, it helps to have a cohesive plan with five or so points at the beginning before you actually start answering, as this makes it easier to write without stopping to think. In English Lit, you can get sufficient amount of marks with little / less writing than other subjects it’s just about how you get the point across. Try doing practice papers under timed conditions as well so you get better at writing faster.

Hey,
I had this struggle when I did Classics A-level. Practice is definitely key to improving your writing speed and time management. Another tip I was told was to answer all the easiest questions first, then you can get them out the way quickly without thinking about it so much, and if you have read the other questions then your brain will subconsciously be thinking about the answers to the other questions in the background.
I hope this helps! Good luck with your exams!
Evie (Medical student at UoS)
Reply 3

Hi! i also struggle with time management for English and i found that giving myself less time when practicing questions can be helpful. For example if a question is meant to take 50 minutes to write, i’ll only give myself 40-45 and have a timer that i can see while writing and planning the answer. The more i practice thst the quicker i get at writing them, and then in the exam you get thst extra 5-10 minutes that can be used to go over, add things in and maybe finish some answers you didn’t get to finish.

I hope that may be able to help you too!
Reply 4

Heya!

Time management can be a challenge, especially in exams where you have to manage your time carefully. I would recommend doing practice paper under timed conditions as much as you can and when the time ends, stop fully. This will help you get used to the time constraints and help you work out how much time you should allocate to each question.

You might want to also prioritise questions. Answer the questions that you find easiest and leave the ones that you find more challenging until the end. This way, you won't spend too much time on a difficult question and you will have more time to answer the easier ones.

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest