The Student Room Group

Managing Workload at Uni

Hey! I’m currently in year 13 hoping to go to UoSheffield in September to study Maths. I guess I just wanted to know how the typical workload at university differs from what I am used to at college. Is the workload a lot more? Is it the same? I’m just trying to grasp an understanding of how it all works, since I obviously haven’t done anything like it before haha

For reference, at college right now I have 16.5 contact hours a week, and spend approximately 20 hours a week completing homework and revision.

If someone is able to provide me with some insight I would really appreciate it :smile:
It heavily depends on how you find the course. Some people need to take some time to wrap their head around the concepts, whereas others don't need too much time.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. When you start, try and find a course mate or 2 that you can be buddies with and the degree feels a lot easier to manage.
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hey! I’m currently in year 13 hoping to go to UoSheffield in September to study Maths. I guess I just wanted to know how the typical workload at university differs from what I am used to at college. Is the workload a lot more? Is it the same? I’m just trying to grasp an understanding of how it all works, since I obviously haven’t done anything like it before haha

For reference, at college right now I have 16.5 contact hours a week, and spend approximately 20 hours a week completing homework and revision.

If someone is able to provide me with some insight I would really appreciate it :smile:

Hey,

I find it depends on your degree as the contact hours can differ a lot based off the degree you choose. Also the amount of work you do per week can depend on the whether you have assignments due, work/reading to do for your next class, prep for a seminar for example.

I would recommend looking at whether Sheffield has a chat with students function on there university and if there are any students who have studied maths if so you could speak with them and see what there normal study week is like.

Hope that helps!

Rebecca
3rd Year Geoenvrionmental Hazards Student
Original post by Anonymous #2
It heavily depends on how you find the course. Some people need to take some time to wrap their head around the concepts, whereas others don't need too much time.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. When you start, try and find a course mate or 2 that you can be buddies with and the degree feels a lot easier to manage.

That’s so true, thank you for the advice! :smile:
Original post by EdgeHillStudents

Hey,

I find it depends on your degree as the contact hours can differ a lot based off the degree you choose. Also the amount of work you do per week can depend on the whether you have assignments due, work/reading to do for your next class, prep for a seminar for example.

I would recommend looking at whether Sheffield has a chat with students function on there university and if there are any students who have studied maths if so you could speak with them and see what there normal study week is like.

Hope that helps!

Rebecca
3rd Year Geoenvrionmental Hazards Student

Just had a look and they do! Thank you so much!

Hi there,

I would say that the workload at university is manageable. A big part of the skills that you gain at university is the ability to manage workload. It really depends on how much time you're willing to commit but I know people who work 20 hours + alongside and still get good grades. It really does depend on your course though! I spend 6 hours a week in lectures/ seminars, then 5 hours doing readings. However, when working on assignments/ exams, I'm pretty much non-stop working on uni and have to step back from my other roles where I can.

I hope that helps!
All the best,
Jaz- Cardiff student rep

Hi,

I am currently studying a Maths and Philosophy degree at the Uni of Sheffield.

In my first year, we did 6 20 credit modules, so 3 per semester. Each module had 4 hours of lectures a week and then a tutorial. The lectures had lots of people in as other subjects do maths modules as well, but the tutorials only had around 15 people in (normally less) and were a great time to ask questions and go through problems with a tutor. This meant we had roughly 15 hours of contact time per week.

Quite a few of my modules have had online quizzes where you have a week to complete them, but they normally took around an hour or two depending on how well you understood the content. Many of the quizzes also gave feedback if you got it wrong and let you have multiple attempts.

There was also some homework, mainly to have a go at and hand in during your tutorial and then got feedback on the following week.

There can be a bit of a learning curve at the beginning of uni, as you probably haven't been taught in lectures before and a maths course is very proof based which is different to the A level. However, all the lecturers understand this and so were all very happy to give help with writing proofs and explaining them.

A lot of the work you do at uni will be independent work that only counts for your exams. There isn't masses of set work, although all my modules had problem booklets that we could complete. As other people have said, it will all depend on how you find the content and how much work you want to put in.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions,

Lizzie (BSc Mathematics and Philosophy, 3rd year, University of Sheffield)
Hello,

Like the others said, it depends on you workload. From my experience, I found that A-levels were tougher than university because in university the classes were more spread out.

Also, in college I had a lot of exams that were quite frequent. In university, we only have final exams towards the end of the year, but we had papers due throughout. I found that better to manage my time as I would schedule days to have fun and days to study (when it suits me).

My main tip to manage workload in university is to have a to do list and try to be organised as that will help you achieve your goals.

Best of luck,
Haya - MBBS V
Reply 8
The party line is that you ought to be doing a full-time job's worth of reading for the degree.

Some people do that, either because they need to, or because they love it. The majority of people fluctuate based on what they need to do, except around assessment period.

I always found that keeping a consistent work level all year round meant that I didn't need to cram or hammer it at assessment period in the way that my peers did, and I advise mys tudents of this all the time. Of course, most of them don't listen and that's ok! :lol:

Hi there,

I think the workload really depends on the university, the degree and the time of year. For me doing medicine its pretty full on with lectures and uni work but I know some other unis have less contact time. I certainly think that when it is coming to exams and things the workload does increase, but I am sure it will be manageable for you with the amount you are currently working.

I really hope this helps,

Ellen
Y4 Medical Student
Uni of Sunderland

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending