The Student Room Group
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

UAL: Chelsea

Hello! I have applied for Fine Art (BA) at UAL: Chelsea College of Arts and would like some tips for a strong portfolio as well as tips for the interview if that is to come. I am currently doing a foundation course right now for Art & Design (not in UAL).
Reply 1
Hi! I am currently doing foundation in Scotland as well. I applied to Fine Art course at Chelsea this January and just received an offer. In terms of portfolio I think they're looking for independent artist who is led by their own creative inquiry instead mere completion of school project. During the interview, they asked mainly about the motif and inspiration behind the works as well as how I want to develop them more in future. Also, during the interview, they asked why you applied to Chelsea fine art instead of other fine art courses in UAL.

idk if this was helpful but wish you get in!🌸🌸🌸
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by janek90
Hi! I am currently doing foundation in Scotland as well. I applied to Fine Art course at Chelsea this January and just received an offer. In terms of portfolio I think they're looking for independent artist who is led by their own creative inquiry instead mere completion of school project. During the interview, they asked mainly about the motif and inspiration behind the works as well as how I want to develop them more in future. Also, during the interview, they asked why you applied to Chelsea fine art instead of other fine art courses in UAL.

idk if this was helpful but wish you get in!🌸🌸🌸

Hi, thanks for the reply and congrats on getting an offer! this was extremely helpful and will be taking note of this :smile: is there any way that we could both talk in depth outside of here?
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, thanks for the reply and congrats on getting an offer! this was extremely helpful and will be taking note of this :smile: is there any way that we could both talk in depth outside of here?

Hi!
glad it was helpful! have u heard from the school yet?
Reply 4
Original post by janek90
Hi!
glad it was helpful! have u heard from the school yet?

not yet! havent sent in my portfolio. im part of the jan intake group so we kind of just submitted in our UCAS applications, but so far the other schools that i have applied for have given a due date for portfolios which is in the next 2 weeks eek!

also may i ask how many pages was your digital portfolio and did you include many sketchbook pages (with text/research etc..) ? also not too sure about captioning/adding text explaining my work or giving titles as i do expect my work to explain itself
Reply 5
not yet! havent sent in my portfolio. im part of the jan intake group so we kind of just submitted in our UCAS applications, but so far the other schools that i have applied for have given a due date for portfolios which is in the next 2 weeks eek!

also may i ask how many pages was your digital portfolio and did you include many sketchbook pages (with text/research etc..) ? also not too sure about captioning/adding text explaining my work or giving titles as i do expect my work to explain itself

Sure! most of my coursemate submitted 20 pages -25 pages for their portfolio. For me, I included at least one or two sketchbook pages for each project. I have not written any explanation or text except for handwritten words in my sketchbook pages. But what i did was quite unusual in my foundation course so its really depends on your choice. :smile:

How is going on with the application? 😯😯
Reply 6
Original post by janek90
Sure! most of my coursemate submitted 20 pages -25 pages for their portfolio. For me, I included at least one or two sketchbook pages for each project. I have not written any explanation or text except for handwritten words in my sketchbook pages. But what i did was quite unusual in my foundation course so its really depends on your choice. :smile:

How is going on with the application? 😯😯

Thank you for this! My course strayed away from sketchbooks and we mostly worked using websites so i really hope that the lack of sketchbook pages does not affect my portfolio. I do feel that my portfolio is still strong without them though (i hope..) 20 pages right now! have sent it off to my other options though. Im starting to catch myself comparing my portfolios to others, which is not good for me cause we are all different lol!

In terms of the application.. UAL has not gotten back to me yet about when to submit so Im just waiting for them to send me a deadline or the pebble pad link. Hopefully this means I have more time to develop *more* work to put in as I wait.. haha
Reply 7
Thank you for this! My course strayed away from sketchbooks and we mostly worked using websites so i really hope that the lack of sketchbook pages does not affect my portfolio. I do feel that my portfolio is still strong without them though (i hope..) 20 pages right now! have sent it off to my other options though. Im starting to catch myself comparing my portfolios to others, which is not good for me cause we are all different lol!

In terms of the application.. UAL has not gotten back to me yet about when to submit so Im just waiting for them to send me a deadline or the pebble pad link. Hopefully this means I have more time to develop *more* work to put in as I wait.. haha

Heyy, How are u doing? Hope u re now free from all these applications and deadline😭😭 Did you get to decide where you'll gonna study next year? 😮

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending