The Student Room Group

Dentistry in Georgia as a Muslim student

Hi guys! I’m just making this post in the hopes that someone will see it and answer a couple of questions I have about studying dentistry/ med abroad, particularly in Georgia. I’ve been researching a tiny bit but 1) I don’t know if I wud be able to practice in the uk as a dentist 2) im super scared about the community and Islamophobia/racism or simple things like halal food options etc.
just wanted to know if there’s any fellow Muslim students currently studying in Georgia And what agency’s they used to apply (if they did)… thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by Kayyy30
Hi guys! I’m just making this post in the hopes that someone will see it and answer a couple of questions I have about studying dentistry/ med abroad, particularly in Georgia. I’ve been researching a tiny bit but 1) I don’t know if I wud be able to practice in the uk as a dentist 2) im super scared about the community and Islamophobia/racism or simple things like halal food options etc.
just wanted to know if there’s any fellow Muslim students currently studying in Georgia And what agency’s they used to apply (if they did)… thanks!

as someone who nearly ended up in gerogia i can answer some qs.
1. U can practice but only after you pass the ORE exam from what I remember I heard its difficult and only happens twice a year.
2. I had the same concern as a practicing muslim but I believe there were a few halal shops and there was a presence of a Pakistani community surprisingly.
I used SME to apply studymedicineeruope . But im sure you wouldnt be the only muslim student as quite a few apply and as you can imagine there are 5 years of cohorts.
Reply 2
Original post by drdent
as someone who nearly ended up in gerogia i can answer some qs.
1. U can practice but only after you pass the ORE exam from what I remember I heard its difficult and only happens twice a year.
2. I had the same concern as a practicing muslim but I believe there were a few halal shops and there was a presence of a Pakistani community surprisingly.
I used SME to apply studymedicineeruope . But im sure you wouldnt be the only muslim student as quite a few apply and as you can imagine there are 5 years of cohorts.

Thank you for replying!!!
can I ask why you didn’t end up studying in Georgia? x
Reply 3
Original post by Kayyy30
Thank you for replying!!!
can I ask why you didn’t end up studying in Georgia? x

i was going with my friend but he got a last minute offer and I didn't feel that up for it alone. So instead went on a gap year and honestly the best decision I made. I also spoke to some family friends who are medics and they said not going was a good choice and its worth reapplying as the ORE is a pain.
Personally from the research I did only go if you don't have the grades for.a UK uni. Otherwise if your grades are good enough for here keep reapplying and inshallah you will get in!
Reply 4
Original post by drdent
i was going with my friend but he got a last minute offer and I didn't feel that up for it alone. So instead went on a gap year and honestly the best decision I made. I also spoke to some family friends who are medics and they said not going was a good choice and its worth reapplying as the ORE is a pain.
Personally from the research I did only go if you don't have the grades for.a UK uni. Otherwise if your grades are good enough for here keep reapplying and inshallah you will get in!

so are you going to study dent this year in england? i have AAB so i missed out and am thinking about bulgaria but the ORE seems daunting.. is there any benefit to having a EU qualification? if i study dent in Turkey or Dubai would it be harder to work in england?
Reply 5
Original post by lhatake786
so are you going to study dent this year in england? i have AAB so i missed out and am thinking about bulgaria but the ORE seems daunting.. is there any benefit to having a EU qualification? if i study dent in Turkey or Dubai would it be harder to work in england?

yeh I achieved A*AB and got into KCL this year Alhamdulilah. Honestly try applying with AAB strategically see where u can get a contextual. If not resit. And if you cant do either go abroad den. Im not sure if an EU qualification matters tbh I also looked into dubai but i remember it being crazy expensive. Just google some unis in dubai and turkey and see what degree u get at the end I think its either BDS or DMD. And check on google if u can work w those.
Hope this helps
Reply 6
Original post by drdent
yeh I achieved A*AB and got into KCL this year Alhamdulilah. Honestly try applying with AAB strategically see where u can get a contextual. If not resit. And if you cant do either go abroad den. Im not sure if an EU qualification matters tbh I also looked into dubai but i remember it being crazy expensive. Just google some unis in dubai and turkey and see what degree u get at the end I think its either BDS or DMD. And check on google if u can work w those.
Hope this helps

allahummabrik congrats !! i got my alevels two years ago i should have just resat the B but i dont think many unies accept resits.. did KCL give you a contextual offer? they're BDS degrees but u have to sit the ORE after.. currently, with eu qualifications u dont but that could change. im already 20 so i dont wanna waste anymore time
Reply 7
Original post by lhatake786
allahummabrik congrats !! i got my alevels two years ago i should have just resat the B but i dont think many unies accept resits.. did KCL give you a contextual offer? they're BDS degrees but u have to sit the ORE after.. currently, with eu qualifications u dont but that could change. im already 20 so i dont wanna waste anymore time

If you did ur a-levels two years ago that means you got CAGs right and if you resat most unis wouldve allowed it as that falls under extenuating cicrumstances. However, if you dont wanna resit go abroad I dont believe this eu stuff matters as georgia isnt part of the eu. If you contact an agency theyll give you the best advice.

Quick Reply

Latest