The Student Room Group

Last minute chemistry revision advice

At the beginning of Year 13, one of my chemistry teachers retired and was replaced with a new teacher who had just begun who, to put it lightly, has no idea what she's doing (I am NOT blaming her for my performance in the subject, but I feel it's necessary to stress that she's inexperienced at both theory and practical lessons).

In short, my chemistry exams are in June and I have found myself struggling with the entirety of her side of the course and, when I get stuck and ask her about something via email, she either responds to me in person next lesson (which are once a week) by basically doing the work for me, or not respond at all, she will also simply mark any incorrect work as wrong while providing no actual information.

Is there any advice aside from grinding out past papers that would help me in my position? I only need a B, which is ~50% according to my other teacher based on previous grade boundaries.

Thanks in advance
Original post by Brain_In_A_Jar
At the beginning of Year 13, one of my chemistry teachers retired and was replaced with a new teacher who had just begun who, to put it lightly, has no idea what she's doing (I am NOT blaming her for my performance in the subject, but I feel it's necessary to stress that she's inexperienced at both theory and practical lessons).

In short, my chemistry exams are in June and I have found myself struggling with the entirety of her side of the course and, when I get stuck and ask her about something via email, she either responds to me in person next lesson (which are once a week) by basically doing the work for me, or not respond at all, she will also simply mark any incorrect work as wrong while providing no actual information.

Is there any advice aside from grinding out past papers that would help me in my position? I only need a B, which is ~50% according to my other teacher based on previous grade boundaries.

Thanks in advance

50% for a B is quite low Id say? I thought it was 55-60?

Thanks in advance

Which exam board requires 50%
Reply 3
Original post by gshsghksjhajk

That's what I thought too. My teacher used the June 2022 set and found the percentage for a B. I imagine this is very likely subject to change, but it is probably a semi-decent measure.
Reply 4
Original post by gshsghksjhajk

its closer to 60% to be safe
Reply 5
Original post by Neymarswho1730

OCR, photo attached to other post.
Reply 6

Thanks in advance

can i guess, your struggling with inorganic chem
Reply 7
That's what I thought too. My teacher used the June 2022 set and found the percentage for a B. I imagine this is very likely subject to change, but it is probably a semi-decent measure.

i wouldnt base it on 2022, base it on 2019, its the harshest grade bounderies in any exam series and is suppose to reflect this years grade boundaeries so to be safe use the 2019 grade bounderies
Reply 8
Original post by Neymarswho1730

I also REALLY want to stress that my word, nor my teacher's, is gospel. If you can, try to find it for yourself.
Reply 9
Original post by anony123456
can i guess, your struggling with inorganic chem

No, most of Module 6
I also REALLY want to stress that my word, nor my teacher's, is gospel. If you can, try to find it for yourself.

ask her why you got questions wrong, or find it out yousefl using your textbook and the internet
Original post by bigplongus
i wouldnt base it on 2022, base it on 2019, its the harshest grade bounderies in any exam series and is suppose to reflect this years grade boundaeries so to be safe use the 2019 grade bounderies

Fair enough

Quick Reply

Latest