The Student Room Group

Transferring from Y11 England to Scotland

Hello,

My family and I have had a change in circumstances which means we need to shift from England to Scotland. Our daughter is currently in Year 10 finishing this June, and is due to start her GCSEs for the 23/24 academic year, if we were going to stay in England. It looks like Scotland has a completely different system and we really don’t want her to repeat a year, as she had moved in from a different school system in 2020 which means she’s already older than her peers in year 10 (she is 16, will be 17 in Mar 2024).

Are the Nat 5s very different? Are there options to do GCSEs? Sorry, we came in from Europe and are surprised that the Scottish / English systems are so different!
Original post by Anniesiptera
Hello,

My family and I have had a change in circumstances which means we need to shift from England to Scotland. Our daughter is currently in Year 10 finishing this June, and is due to start her GCSEs for the 23/24 academic year, if we were going to stay in England. It looks like Scotland has a completely different system and we really don’t want her to repeat a year, as she had moved in from a different school system in 2020 which means she’s already older than her peers in year 10 (she is 16, will be 17 in Mar 2024).

Are the Nat 5s very different? Are there options to do GCSEs? Sorry, we came in from Europe and are surprised that the Scottish / English systems are so different!

Having done a quick google search (you may wish to do your own reading to verify my findings), it seems you can sit some standard GCSE’s in Scotland (although the source that mentions this I cannot ensure is reliable - I have linked it below), and there may be the option to sit iGCSE’s (international GCSE’s) privately (though these may differ from the standard GCSE’s).

https://he-exams.fandom.com/wiki/Scotland

Quick Reply

Latest