The Student Room Group

i have been declared unfit to study at university.

hello, as the title says, i have been deemed unfit to commence study at university by occupational health. i appealed this decision arguing that my condition is no different in terms of symptoms than many other conditions which i know people have commenced a course for social work on before, but my appeal came to nothing.

in my revised occupational health appeal they stated i must be without any symptoms for over a year until they could consider me on a course. i have a lifelong condition that can (very occasionally) cause me to lose consciousness.

i guess my question is should i just give up the dream of becoming a social worker now? i don’t want to go through this heartbreaking process of applying and being denied every year, and has anybody else got any advice on where to go from here as all of my plans relied on attending university.
It is obviously disability discrimination. Complain them to the ombudsman.
Reply 2
Original post by eleanorsuni
hello, as the title says, i have been deemed unfit to commence study at university by occupational health. i appealed this decision arguing that my condition is no different in terms of symptoms than many other conditions which i know people have commenced a course for social work on before, but my appeal came to nothing.

in my revised occupational health appeal they stated i must be without any symptoms for over a year until they could consider me on a course. i have a lifelong condition that can (very occasionally) cause me to lose consciousness.

i guess my question is should i just give up the dream of becoming a social worker now? i don’t want to go through this heartbreaking process of applying and being denied every year, and has anybody else got any advice on where to go from here as all of my plans relied on attending university.

The question is can you do the job safely?
Firstly, I am so sorry to hear this. I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to have made it this far and now be set back by something beyond your control.

Unfortunately I have no quick fixes to suggest for you, since it sounds like you have already taken the initiative to appeal the decision. I can only suggest that you discuss your situation with the university to reach a compromise. I assume that you were denied at the appeal stage due to the necessary practical aspects of being a social worker (I'm guessing driving for example is non-negotiable)? Would it be possible to enrol onto a similar course (e.g. psychology) with a view to transferring onto social work after a year if you remain symptom free? Absolutely check this before looking into this route (I am a dinosaur and university funding has changed since I studied), but my understanding is that you can still have your tuiton fees covered by a loan if you change courses after one year. Again, check this with the university and get it in writing that they'll let you transfer to social work, do not just assume that they'll let you.

Failing that, do all universities have the same occupational health stipulations for your course? Worth asking around to see if anywhere else could accept you in the circumstances, although admittedly unlikely if the courses are overseen and accredited by one governing body. If you are keen to go to university this year I would start making these enquiries now, i.e. literally today if possible, as the admissions lines will be ridiculously busy on results day/for clearing.

Finally, possibly worth a chat with your doctor about this? I understand that your condition is lifelong but if there are any possible changes to your treatment plan that might reduce the frequency of your clinical signs then that might be an avenue to investigate.

Best of luck for whatever you choose and my sincerest condolences again that you've found yourself in this position. I wish you good health for the future.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 4
it was due to the fact that the 2nd and 3rd years you just be fit to work, and i never initially thought i’d be marked as unfit due to even course leaders telling me to not let a disability get in the way of applying.

unfortunately all universities have the same rules and regulations as the Social Work course is determined by NHS England, but i will look into starting on one course and possibly transferring next year.

i'm on a treatment plan from my doctor and have gone nearly six months without any episodes which is a far improvement from my worst periods where i had up to ten in one day. i am massively improved and just hope to stay completely clear in the hopes of starting the career i am passionate about.

and also thank you so much for your kind words and advice, they truly mean a lot.
Reply 5
Original post by Scotney

it is my belief that whilst some aspects of Social Work (such as being a Social Worker that travels to and from clients) would not be so suitable, the wealth of options in the career field such as working with refugees, women’s and domestic abuse shelters, local authority office working, etc, i would more than definitely be able to do. i’ve been working for the past three years in SEN schools which gained my interest in social work, due to working alongside them daily.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
It is obviously disability discrimination. Complain them to the ombudsman.

as much as i would agree, i don’t believe it would be seen this way in the eyes of the law as i was deemed unfit to work. if i was deemed fit and then told i can’t because of my condition i believe that’d be sure fire discrimination, but it’s definitely something for me to look into
it was due to the fact that the 2nd and 3rd years you just be fit to work, and i never initially thought i’d be marked as unfit due to even course leaders telling me to not let a disability get in the way of applying.

I'm very sorry to hear that, especially since you've been open from the start about your circumstances. Do you have what they said in writing? Can you possibly contact these people again since you have already had this discussion with them previously. I feel like I'm grasping at straws and admit that I wouldn't be too optimistic since you've already been denied your appeal, but if the course leaders thought that you would be able to manage the course then that must hold some weight. If being 'fit for work' is defined at the discretion of NHS England then it may be that they apply the same criteria for everyone; from the neurosurgeons to the nurses, to the porters to the paramedics, from the cleaners to the cardiologists, without much thought of the specific nuances of each discipline. Again, I wouldn't hold your breath here but if you have proof that you've been told that your condition wouldn't preclude you then you need to bring this up.

i'm on a treatment plan from my doctor and have gone nearly six months without any episodes which is a far improvement from my worst periods where i had up to ten in one day. i am massively improved and just hope to stay completely clear in the hopes of starting the career i am passionate about.

and also thank you so much for your kind words and advice, they truly mean a lot.

I am glad that your treatment plan is working for you; your health comes above all else. I am not a physician (for humans at least! ) but reading between the lines if its something like seizures then obviously there is a delicate balance of managing your clinical signs vs managing side effects, convenience etc. Considering everything holistically (and I would very much argue that your mental health and hopes and dreams outside of your condition are a part of that), if anything does change then definitely contact your doctor about it.

Again, you absolutely have my empathy and support. It is frustrating because there are plenty of careers that should be possible with a social work degree; with or without practical elements. One of my close friends had a similar situation where her place on the course she was studying hung in the balance due to her health, but thankfully she is very well managed on her medication now. I hope the same can be said for you in future.
Reply 8
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
I'm very sorry to hear that, especially since you've been open from the start about your circumstances. Do you have what they said in writing? Can you possibly contact these people again since you have already had this discussion with them previously. I feel like I'm grasping at straws and admit that I wouldn't be too optimistic since you've already been denied your appeal, but if the course leaders thought that you would be able to manage the course then that must hold some weight. If being 'fit for work' is defined at the discretion of NHS England then it may be that they apply the same criteria for everyone; from the neurosurgeons to the nurses, to the porters to the paramedics, from the cleaners to the cardiologists, without much thought of the specific nuances of each discipline. Again, I wouldn't hold your breath here but if you have proof that you've been told that your condition wouldn't preclude you then you need to bring this up.

I am glad that your treatment plan is working for you; your health comes above all else. I am not a physician (for humans at least! ) but reading between the lines if its something like seizures then obviously there is a delicate balance of managing your clinical signs vs managing side effects, convenience etc. Considering everything holistically (and I would very much argue that your mental health and hopes and dreams outside of your condition are a part of that), if anything does change then definitely contact your doctor about it.

Again, you absolutely have my empathy and support. It is frustrating because there are plenty of careers that should be possible with a social work degree; with or without practical elements. One of my close friends had a similar situation where her place on the course she was studying hung in the balance due to her health, but thankfully she is very well managed on her medication now. I hope the same can be said for you in future.

unfortunately i don’t have what she said in writing as it was a conversation i had in person on an open day when visiting the uni, i will try to see about my options and if not i’ll try to reapply next year
Reply 9
Original post by Scotney

Indeed, and to this end, the Equality Act has exemptions which allow for some discrimination against protected characteristics. (Many on this site assume not, but it is the case.)
Original post by gjd800
Indeed, and to this end, the Equality Act has exemptions which allow for some discrimination against protected characteristics. (Many on this site assume not, but it is the case.)

The types of exempts that are sometimes valid but mostly abused by ableist faculty staff to justify their discrimination against disabled students or candidates.
Reply 11
The types of exempts that are sometimes valid but mostly abused by ableist faculty staff to justify their discrimination against disabled students or candidates.

I am not getting into this with you again, ad nauseum. You are entitled to your views but please keep me out of it.
Original post by gjd800
I am not getting into this with you again, ad nauseum. You are entitled to your views but please keep me out of it.

Can you point out in what sense am I totally wrong?
Reply 13
Can you point out in what sense am I totally wrong?

I am not going to engage with you about this matter any further. There were pages of this in other threads and I do not want to waste my time repeating myself to no sensible ends whatsoever.
Original post by gjd800
I am not going to engage with you about this matter any further. There were pages of this in other threads and I do not want to waste my time repeating myself to no sensible ends whatsoever.

In what sense can you disregard or invalidate my opinion about the nature of the case of the OP? Is ableism is rampant in academia that people working therein simply think it is fine and are willing to engage in bullying of disabled students to the point of destroying their career if not life?
In what sense can you disregard or invalidate my opinion about the nature of the case of the OP? Is ableism so rampant in academia that people working therein simply think it is fine and are willing to engage in bullying of disabled students to the point of destroying their career if not life?

Typo*
Reply 16
In what sense can you disregard or invalidate my opinion about the nature of the case of the OP? Is ableism is rampant in academia that people working therein simply think it is fine and are willing to engage in bullying of disabled students to the point of destroying their career if not life?

I am not engaging you on this matter and if you persist in goading me, I shall report you.
(edited 8 months ago)
as much as i would agree, i don’t believe it would be seen this way in the eyes of the law as i was deemed unfit to work. if i was deemed fit and then told i can’t because of my condition i believe that’d be sure fire discrimination, but it’s definitely something for me to look into

If you are studying in England, you can file a complaint to the OIAHE - simply supply all evidence you have. Equality Advisory Support Service (EASS) is also a good channel to ask for advice regarding appropriate actions, but they are not a legal service and cannot offer you a lawyer. I don't live in England but in Scotland and am going through similar issues and got some good advice from the EASS. What I would say is you should seize the chance to escalate the issue rather than give in to any mistreatment that would ruin your career. My case is currently being reviewed by the public ombudsman in Scotland after my university HR simply refused to do anything about the faculty staff who mistreated me.
If you are studying in England, you can file a complaint to the Office of the Independent Adjudicator for Higher Education (OIAHE) - simply supply all evidence you have. Equality Advisory Support Service (EASS) is also a good channel to ask for advice regarding appropriate actions, but they are not a legal service and cannot offer you a lawyer. I don't live in England but in Scotland and am going through similar issues and got some good advice from the EASS. What I would say is you should seize the chance to escalate the issue rather than give in to any mistreatment that would ruin your career. My case is currently being reviewed by the public ombudsman in Scotland after my university HR simply refused to do anything about the faculty staff who mistreated me.

Clarification*
I am sorry to hear this but really don't feel that disability discrimination is at play herr. As well as possibly affecting your ability to do aspects of the job such as driving they have a duty of care to you. Having friends who are Social workers who talk about having to always have an escape plan when doing visits losing consciousness could put you in danger.

It is clear you have a great passion to help so perhaps you could find another way to channel that.

Quick Reply

Latest