The Student Room Group

Scotland.

I've copy-pasted and edited this message from an email I sent earlier, so there might be some formatting issues:

I'm a student at the University of Edinburgh and I've been trying to apply for a student loan from Student Finance England, but I've been having some trouble. I'm being told I can't apply for student finance as I am living in Scotland, and that I should go to SAAS to do so. The issue with this is that I don't meet the eligibility criteria for an SAAS loan, as while I'm living in Edinburgh, it's only because I am a student here. I have otherwise lived in England.

This didn't seem to be an issue in previous years. I was living in the same address in Edinburgh in previous years and had access to an SFE loan. I took an Authorised Interruption of Studies last year so that may have caused some of the confusion on your end.
Original post by throwawaysf1000
I've copy-pasted and edited this message from an email I sent earlier, so there might be some formatting issues:

I'm a student at the University of Edinburgh and I've been trying to apply for a student loan from Student Finance England, but I've been having some trouble. I'm being told I can't apply for student finance as I am living in Scotland, and that I should go to SAAS to do so. The issue with this is that I don't meet the eligibility criteria for an SAAS loan, as while I'm living in Edinburgh, it's only because I am a student here. I have otherwise lived in England.

This didn't seem to be an issue in previous years. I was living in the same address in Edinburgh in previous years and had access to an SFE loan. I took an Authorised Interruption of Studies last year so that may have caused some of the confusion on your end.

Hi throwawaysf1000,

Are you a Postgraduate student or are you applying for undergraduate funding? Are you a UK national?

Thanks, Clare
I'm applying for undergraduate funding. It's probably worth noting that it's part time this year.

I am a UK national
I'm applying for undergraduate funding. It's probably worth noting that it's part time this year.

I am a UK national

Hi there,

Are you unable to make an application with us at all? As in, when you try does the website not allow you to because you're currently living in Scotland?

Thanks, Graeme

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-register-login
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi there,

Are you unable to make an application with us at all? As in, when you try does the website not allow you to because you're currently living in Scotland?

Thanks, Graeme

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-register-login

Yeah. It says:

"As you're living in Scotland you can't apply to us for student finance. Scottish students should apply to Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS)."

Then shows a link to the SAAS website.
Yeah. It says:

"As you're living in Scotland you can't apply to us for student finance. Scottish students should apply to Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS)."

Then shows a link to the SAAS website.

Hi throwawaysf1000,

It would be best to post a paper copy to us with a cover letter to explain that you don't ordinarily reside in Scotland and that your address is there for the purpose of study.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1155590/sfe_ptmn_form_2324_o.pdf

Student Finance England
PO Box 210
Darlington
DL1 9HJ

Thanks, Clare

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending