The Student Room Group

friend sent me their assignment

Hi so a friend sent me work that she completed for an assignment in order to help me. I think she did this as she was expecting something in return.

I do not plan to use this work for my assignment, but am I involved in academic misconduct? I literally did not want to receive this and dont plan to use any of it.
Reply 1
You will be safe provided you do not use the stuff, but your friend is certainly involved in misconduct - namely collusion.
Hi there,

Sharing assessments and work with friends can be a tricky situation.

Academic misconduct is generally about creating unfair academic advantages; such as, copying someone's work and naming it your won.

However, if you don't use the work they shared and you don't solicit it, you are not engaging in academic misconduct, but please research your university's specific policies on academic integrity.

If you're still worried, make sure to reach out to your course advisor to ensure you're following the correct protocol and maintaining your own academic integrity.

I hope I managed to help!

Best of luck,
Melanie
LSBU Rep
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi so a friend sent me work that she completed for an assignment in order to help me. I think she did this as she was expecting something in return.
I do not plan to use this work for my assignment, but am I involved in academic misconduct? I literally did not want to receive this and dont plan to use any of it.

Hi there,

Every university is different and will have different policies about this so it's worth looking into your specific uni and seeing what their policies are.

Generally, if you haven't used any of the work, whether that be phrasing of it or directly copied it, you should be okay. I also probably wouldn't engage with the email or the content just so it's definite that you haven't used any of it.

If you are really worried, I would talk to someone at you university about it just to make sure that you haven't done anything wrong as you don't want the actions of others to affect you and your work. You could reach out to your personal tutor if you have one and explain why you are worried and that you haven't used any of the work and hopefully they will be able to reassure you that you won't be in trouble. You could also contact your university help centre if this is better for you and they should be able to help you to understand what the guidelines are surrounding this.

I hope this helps,

Lucy -SHU student ambassador.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending