The Student Room Group

GCSE's and sats

This years sats taken in yr 6 were apparently really difficult, leaving many children crying during the exam. Are GCSE's going to be harder this year as well? Please say nooo
SATs are utterly ridiculous. They're not for the benefit of the children at all.

GCSEs are supposedly going to be back to pre-pandemic grading.
Reply 2
trueee, i failed my reading by one mark (i know it's embarrassing but yeah as an 11 year old child i couldn't care less about sats) and my target grades up until year 11 were grade 4's and 5's. I'm getting 9's now. This just goes to show how stupid they are as people actually aim for their target grades based off sats, which are extremely unrealistic.
Original post by megan_xay
trueee, i failed my reading by one mark (i know it's embarrassing but yeah as an 11 year old child i couldn't care less about sats) and my target grades up until year 11 were grade 4's and 5's. I'm getting 9's now. This just goes to show how stupid they are as people actually aim for their target grades based off sats, which are extremely unrealistic.

SATs are purely for schools' bragging rights.
This years sats taken in yr 6 were apparently really difficult, leaving many children crying during the exam. Are GCSE's going to be harder this year as well? Please say nooo

sats and gcses are uncomparable - sats are just dumb questions given to year 6s to make them anxious for god knows why, and I'm saying this from having to revise some rando stuff the entire year 6 for no reason whatsoever.
Gcses are completely different: there's a wider range of subjects and topics you learn for them and aren't as useless as sats.
Reply 5

It sounds strange, but how difficult or easy a GCSE is, is kind of irrelevant, as they will mark all the papers, then they will set the grade boundaries according to to how well people did, in order to get the desired grade distribution. If a paper is "easy" it will mean the grade boundary will be high, so you are not really gaining anything, other than maybe a few less tears when people are taking them.

Quick Reply

Latest