The Student Room Group

2023 GCSE summer resits

i’m doing some gcse retakes this year and my year group (the ones that took GCSEs in june 2022) was affected by covid, which meant we had things like advanced info, slimmed down content and equation sheets to use.

Although they’ve thankfully kept the equation sheets, Isn’t it a little unfair that my retake this time around doesn’t have any removed content? I didn’t know i wanted to retake stuff until kind of recently but i don’t have the knowledge/time the year group below me has yet i’m taking the same exam as them. I’ve had to focus on my A-Levels so i’m very worried i’m at quite a disadvantage here. Shouldn’t they have allowed for only resisters to resit under the same conditions they had prior? maybe not advanced info but removed content would have made some sense. Not all of us decided fast back in september that we wanted to resit, and so people like me have only had about a month to revise + learn all info we didn’t need to learn about for last year.
Reply 1
Original post by unmmm
i’m doing some gcse retakes this year and my year group (the ones that took GCSEs in june 2022) was affected by covid, which meant we had things like advanced info, slimmed down content and equation sheets to use.

Although they’ve thankfully kept the equation sheets, Isn’t it a little unfair that my retake this time around doesn’t have any removed content? I didn’t know i wanted to retake stuff until kind of recently but i don’t have the knowledge/time the year group below me has yet i’m taking the same exam as them. I’ve had to focus on my A-Levels so i’m very worried i’m at quite a disadvantage here. Shouldn’t they have allowed for only resisters to resit under the same conditions they had prior? maybe not advanced info but removed content would have made some sense. Not all of us decided fast back in september that we wanted to resit, and so people like me have only had about a month to revise + learn all info we didn’t need to learn about for last year.

That does seem relly unfair I agree, to be honest I think the whole way GCSEs are done with remembering quotes and equations and arbitrary stuff is a bit rubbish, but I guess we have to live with it. I'm doing GCSEs this year.
No it's not unfair. You had the opportunity to pass your GCSEs with all the covid provisions in place in 2022 - it's not the exam board's fault that you didn't achieve the grades you wanted.
Now, having to do resits, you're in the same position as the 2023 exam takers. Why should you get an advantage over this year's cohort?
Reply 3
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
No it's not unfair. You had the opportunity to pass your GCSEs with all the covid provisions in place in 2022 - it's not the exam board's fault that you didn't achieve the grades you wanted.
Now, having to do resits, you're in the same position as the 2023 exam takers. Why should you get an advantage over this year's cohort?

because i’m not fully of this years cohort? Like i said, im doing this alongside my A Levels as im in year 12. I’m not in their lessons so i didn’t learn the exact same content they did. It would have been fair if i was resitting year 11 or if i decided i wanted to resit gcses back in september, cause that would mean i’d have time to learn what my year didn’t, but like i said i only decided i wanted to do a resit as of recently. I have to do revision + missing content i need to follow up on yet i’m sitting the same paper as them. Is that really fair to you? It’s not really a resit if i have a harder test than what my own peers had, that’s a whole nother test.
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by unmmm
because i’m not fully of this years cohort? Like i said, im doing this alongside my A Levels as im in year 12. I’m not in their lessons so i didn’t learn the exact same content they did. It would have been fair if i was resitting year 11 or if i decided i wanted to resit gcses back in september, cause that would mean i’d have time to learn what my year didn’t, but like i said i only decided i wanted to do a resit as of recently. I have to do revision + missing content i need to follow up on yet i’m sitting the same paper as them. Is that really fair to you?

The only way your point would be valid would be if the syllabus has changed. If it hasn't, then yes you will have learned the exact same content as this year's cohort during your two years of studying in the first place. It's entirely fair. It's nobody else's fault that you decided only recently that you wanted to take a resit, is it? That's on you.

If you don't like it, don't resit the exam.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
The only way your point would be valid would be if the syllabus has changed. If it hasn't, then yes you will have learned the exact same content as this year's cohort during your two years of studying in the first place. It's entirely fair. It's nobody else's fault that you decided only recently that you wanted to take a resit, is it? That's on you.

If you don't like it, don't resit the exam.

do u have such a negative approach to everyone? Not everyone has what they want sorted immediately and it’s entirely normal and reasonable for me to decided so late I wanted a redo. Yes the syllabus hasn’t changed but it doesn’t change the fact my year had narrowed down spec but my resit doesn’t. A resit should mean a damn resit not a resit and some. This situation would have been normal pre pandemic as nothing would have changed from the last exams but not for my cohort. Like i said if i had the time and wasn’t doing a levels alongside this, i wouldn’t complain as much. Yes we may have learnt the whole spec at some point but it definitely wasn’t in yr11, meaning realistically those parts are entirely forgotten. It’s been 2 years and im not einstein.
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by unmmm
do u have such a negative approach to everyone? Not everyone has what they want sorted immediately and it’s entirely normal and reasonable for me to decided so late I wanted a redo. Yes the syllabus hasn’t changed but it doesn’t change the fact my year had narrowed down spec but my resit doesn’t. A resit should mean a damn resit not a resit and some. This situation would have been normal pre pandemic as nothing would have changed from the last exams but not for my cohort. Like i said if i had the time and wasn’t doing a levels alongside this, i wouldn’t complain as much. Yes we may have learnt the whole spec at some point but it definitely wasn’t in yr11, meaning realistically those parts are entirely forgotten. It’s been 2 years and im not einstein.

What is complaining that "it's not fair" going to achieve for you? You can either accept that it is the way it is and you take the resit, or you don't.
Personally I think it's completely fair, but even if you disagree it won't change anything for you.

Quick Reply

Latest