The Student Room Group

perfectionism in essays

not to be an insufferable nerd but dealing with perfectionism can be so hard when studying. im currently making essay plans for my english lit gcse but it takes me around 2 hours to make each one because im so obsessed with perfecting the tiny details and making my plans the best they could be. i know my time would be better spent probably outlining rough plans and developing them in the exam, but i cant stop my brain from taking over.

this isn't supposed to be a subtle brag about how i do everything sooo perfectly, cause believe me, not the case.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by evajess13
not to be an insufferable nerd but dealing with perfectionism can be so hard when studying. im currently making essay plans for my english lit gcse but it takes me around 2 hours to make each one because im so obsessed with perfecting the tiny details and making my plans the best they could be. i know my time would be better spent probably outlining rough plans and developing them in the exam, but i cant stop my brain from taking over.

this isn't supposed to be a subtle brag about how i do everything sooo perfectly, cause believe me, not the case.

I totally get that. Tbh I've only recently got into the habit of writing plans but I spend way to long on them when I do. Also, unless I'm in an exam situation I can't do English stuff fast enough, but when I'm in the exam I'm fine. I think for my plan I might do like the main point / intro first then then write it, then plan and write the rest, but I'm not sure. What texts are you doing?
Reply 2
(Original post by RedblackVA)I totally get that. Tbh I've only recently got into the habit of writing plans but I spend way to long on them when I do. Also, unless I'm in an exam situation I can't do English stuff fast enough, but when I'm in the exam I'm fine. I think for my plan I might do like the main point / intro first then then write it, then plan and write the rest, but I'm not sure. What texts are you doing?

Hi, I'm doing GCSE Eduqas English Lit, and am studying Macbeth, A christmas carol, An inspector calls and the poetry anthology
Reply 3
Original post by RedblackVA
I totally get that. Tbh I've only recently got into the habit of writing plans but I spend way to long on them when I do. Also, unless I'm in an exam situation I can't do English stuff fast enough, but when I'm in the exam I'm fine. I think for my plan I might do like the main point / intro first then then write it, then plan and write the rest, but I'm not sure. What texts are you doing?

im the complete same. i panic when doing english past papers at home cause i cannot seem ti write much, but in every mock, when im sat in the exam hall, i suddenly can write insanely fast. came out of my history mock and my friend (who sat a bit behind me) said they were shocked out how i didnt stop writing for the full 1hr45, but at home when im practicing i struggle to write a page in 25 mins, very odd

I know firsthand how difficult it is to overcome perfectionism when it comes to schoolwork. It's crucial to strike a balance between focusing on quality and getting things done quickly. If you struggle to study without striving for perfection, here are some tips that may help:
Focus on specifics: Set realistic, attainable, and measurable objectives for each study session. Focus on getting the job done or making progress within the allotted time limit rather than striving for perfection in every aspect.
Set priorities and allot adequate time to each priority; divide your study work into smaller, more manageable chunks. By doing so, you can save time that would have been spent on one particular aspect and apply it elsewhere.
Recognize that perfection is relative and may be an unreachable ideal; learn to accept and revel in your flaws. Instead, strive for perfection while working within the parameters set for you. Understand that even if your plans aren't perfect, they may still work.
Set time constraints and push yourself to complete tasks in that window. Prepare to leave immediately after the timer goes off. This is a great way to educate your mind to focus on the big picture rather than getting bogged down in the minutiae.
If you want to improve your essay, show it to a trustworthy friend, instructor, or mentor and ask for criticism. Their comments can give you a new perspective and help you determine whether or not your work is satisfactory. Realizing that there is value in hearing opposing arguments might be helpful in overcoming the need for perfection.
Self-compassion is important since striving for perfection can cause undue pressure and harsh judgment of oneself. Be patient with yourself and accept that blunders and flaws are inevitable as you gain knowledge. Regardless of how much or little progress you've made, you should be proud of your efforts.
Don't study nonstop; instead, give yourself frequent breaks to rest and refocus. Go for a stroll, do some deep breathing exercises, or spend time on a hobby you enjoy to help you unwind. This can serve to lessen anxiety and bring about a more balanced outlook.
Keep in mind that striving for perfection is counterproductive and can lead to excessive stress. If you struggle with perfectionism in your academic pursuits, you can improve your learning experience by employing these tactics and changing your attention towards progress and personal growth. If you need help, you can reach out to me.
Reply 5
Original post by lionellegaspi
I know firsthand how difficult it is to overcome perfectionism when it comes to schoolwork. It's crucial to strike a balance between focusing on quality and getting things done quickly. If you struggle to study without striving for perfection, here are some tips that may help:
Focus on specifics: Set realistic, attainable, and measurable objectives for each study session. Focus on getting the job done or making progress within the allotted time limit rather than striving for perfection in every aspect.
Set priorities and allot adequate time to each priority; divide your study work into smaller, more manageable chunks. By doing so, you can save time that would have been spent on one particular aspect and apply it elsewhere.
Recognize that perfection is relative and may be an unreachable ideal; learn to accept and revel in your flaws. Instead, strive for perfection while working within the parameters set for you. Understand that even if your plans aren't perfect, they may still work.
Set time constraints and push yourself to complete tasks in that window. Prepare to leave immediately after the timer goes off. This is a great way to educate your mind to focus on the big picture rather than getting bogged down in the minutiae.
If you want to improve your essay, show it to a trustworthy friend, instructor, or mentor and ask for criticism. Their comments can give you a new perspective and help you determine whether or not your work is satisfactory. Realizing that there is value in hearing opposing arguments might be helpful in overcoming the need for perfection.
Self-compassion is important since striving for perfection can cause undue pressure and harsh judgment of oneself. Be patient with yourself and accept that blunders and flaws are inevitable as you gain knowledge. Regardless of how much or little progress you've made, you should be proud of your efforts.
Don't study nonstop; instead, give yourself frequent breaks to rest and refocus. Go for a stroll, do some deep breathing exercises, or spend time on a hobby you enjoy to help you unwind. This can serve to lessen anxiety and bring about a more balanced outlook.
Keep in mind that striving for perfection is counterproductive and can lead to excessive stress. If you struggle with perfectionism in your academic pursuits, you can improve your learning experience by employing these tactics and changing your attention towards progress and personal growth. If you need help, you can reach out to me.

Thank you so much for taking the time to send such a helpful message, I honestly really appreciate it, and these tips are immensely helpful, thank you. :smile:
Reply 6
im the complete same. i panic when doing english past papers at home cause i cannot seem ti write much, but in every mock, when im sat in the exam hall, i suddenly can write insanely fast. came out of my history mock and my friend (who sat a bit behind me) said they were shocked out how i didnt stop writing for the full 1hr45, but at home when im practicing i struggle to write a page in 25 mins, very odd

Yeahh, I don't do history but for english lit especially it's so much faster in the mocks. Hopefully will be the sam on wednesay's exam. I like Frankenstein and Merchant of Venice tho so should be ok.
Reply 7
Good look with Wednesday, I am sure we will both do great!!

Original post by RedblackVA
Yeahh, I don't do history but for english lit especially it's so much faster in the mocks. Hopefully will be the sam on wednesay's exam. I like Frankenstein and Merchant of Venice tho so should be ok.

Quick Reply

Latest