The Student Room Group

Stuggling to start assignment

I am really struggling to actually start my assignment off. I know what I need to write about, it's just actually starting it. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Original post by Anonymous
I am really struggling to actually start my assignment off. I know what I need to write about, it's just actually starting it. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Hey there!

I always recommend your first sentence being a rephrase of the question. It depends what the question is asking you to do. Is it asking you to evaluate? That would mean you had to argue both sides so I'd suggest laying out what the arguments for both sides would be without going into detail. Are you referring to a case study in your work? You could include in your introduction that you will be referring to such and such case study to back up your argument. You just need to lay out what you'll be talking about in the essay without going into too much detail because that's what you'll do later in the essay.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
Reply 2
Just sit down and type whatever comes into your head on the subject without worrying about the order or whether it makes sense. Then, when you run out of steam, stop and have a break. Then start at the beginning and edit/shape what you put down.
Reply 3

Start with a few notes outlining what each paragraph/section will be about, maybe a few phrases and any sources you think might be useful. Leave it for a bit, and come back and see if you can cobble together a few more sentences (even if incomplete), repeat a few times, and then see if you can put those sentences together to form some paragraphs. Boom first draft.

Hi there!

Like others have previously said, I would outline your argument for each point you are writing about to form a rough baseline for your assignment. That way, you can start to create some coherence and a great plan that will support your writing.

Another tip is to write your introduction last. Sometimes, writing your conclusion before your introduction is a great way to get to the final point and overarching argument, and then writing around it can help strengthen your argument.

I hope this helps :smile:

Estelle
Graduate Advocate
Original post by cheadle
Just sit down and type whatever comes into your head on the subject without worrying about the order or whether it makes sense. Then, when you run out of steam, stop and have a break. Then start at the beginning and edit/shape what you put down.

PRSOM

Hi Anon,

Starting is always the hardest part!

It's great that you know what you need to write about, and there has been some great advice already. I personally find opening a blank document and writing the title, my student/assessment number, adding the page numbers, headings, and any other small thing helps me to get started. Creating a small plan, and then adding some detail and possible references, helps to get me in the mindset of writing, and it usually flows from there.

Remember to take plenty of breaks and be kind to yourself! I still struggle with starting sometimes and I'm in my third year, so it is totally normal to feel this way.

Best of luck,
Isabella :smile:

Hi,

Starting a university assignment can indeed be challenging, but there are several strategies that might help you get on track:

Understand the Assignment: Make sure you fully understand what is expected of you. Break down the assignment guidelines into smaller tasks or questions that you need to answer. Knowing exactly what is expected can make it easier to begin.

Create a Plan: Outline the structure of your assignment. Plan what each section will cover. Having a clear structure can provide a roadmap for your writing and make it less daunting to start.

Free Writing: Set a timer for 10-15 minutes and just write whatever comes to your mind about the topic. Don't worry about grammar or coherence at this stage. This can help you overcome the initial resistance and get your ideas flowing.

Start Anywhere: You don't have to begin with the introduction. Start with the section you feel most confident about or the part you find most interesting. Once you start writing, it often becomes easier to continue.

Use Writing Prompts: Sometimes, specific prompts can help you kick-start your writing. For example, if your assignment is about a historical event, you could start with a compelling fact or a thought-provoking question related to the topic.

Eliminate Perfectionism: Remember that your first draft doesn't have to be perfect. Focus on getting your ideas down on paper. You can always revise and polish your work later.

Set a Deadline: Even if the actual deadline is far away, set a personal deadline for completing the first draft. Having a sense of urgency can motivate you to start working on your assignment.

Accountability Partner: Find a friend or a classmate who is also working on an assignment. Set regular check-ins where you update each other on your progress. Having someone to be accountable to can boost your motivation.

Seek Feedback: If you have a rough draft or even just an outline, consider showing it to your instructor, a tutor, or a classmate. Feedback can provide valuable insights and help you refine your ideas.

Take Breaks: If you're feeling stuck, take short breaks. Go for a walk, do some quick exercises, or engage in an activity you enjoy. Physical activity and mental breaks can refresh your mind and make it easier to start writing when you return.

Remember, starting is often the hardest part. Once you begin and get into the flow of writing, it becomes easier. Stay positive, believe in your abilities, and take it one step at a time. You've got this!

Best of luck,
Fatima,
Student Ambassador- London South Bank University

Regenerate

Hey there

I understand what you mean about starting an assignment. Here are some things that I found helpful when working on my coursework:

- Set yourself a deadline for completing each stage of the assignment (e.g. research, drafting, proof-reading).
- Write a plan for your essay before starting, this should allow you to have a clear and concise structure throughout your essay.
- I always find it difficult to start with the introduction, so instead try skipping the introduction and returning to it later on. (I usually find writing the introduction last really helps).

I hope this helps. :biggrin:
Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep

Our library services offer 1-1 assignment support, perhaps it might be worth looking into whether your university does the same? They can help guide you on how to get started, how to format it and lay it out as well as reference.
You start off with the main body first, then conclusion and introduction last. Writing the topic sentence first should make it easier to gain a rhythm and continue writing.

Hi :h:

First of all, I know this feeling well!! Starting is often the hardest bit. Don't worry about getting anything perfect or wholly correct straight away - you have a delete button on your laptop for a reason! Just get something down, you can edit from there on and work it into something you're happy with. Don't set a huge goal of "I'm going to sit down and write this assignment", tell yourself you'll write the title and the first few sentences - then you will probably build momentum and get going!

You can do it!

Danielle :smile:
Film and Television Studies

Hi,

As others have said, I would recommend doing an essay plan and outlining all the points you want to make throughout your assignment. Another tip I've used quite a few times is not starting at the start. If you've got a subheading within your assignment, start on the subheading or section that interests you the most so that at least you've made a start and once you get started it is a lot easier to motivate yourself to keep going. I often leave the first and last paragraph to the end as it's easier than outlining what you're going to or have spoken about.

I hope this is of some assistance and best of luck in writing your assignment!

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep (3rd-year Children's Nursing)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending