The Student Room Group

I messed up...

I have an imedia coursework thing whatever it's called. but basically i put all my blood, sweat and tears into it but i end up not getting good results. It really hurts me. I got a level 2 merit but it's not final (this is what the teacher gave me). How do i deal with this type of feeling.
It’s always hard to deal with grades we perceive as failure. It’s disappointing and painful and can make us question a lot about ourselves. The first thing is to feel the feelings and do activities that you enjoy. But you also have to practice being kind to yourself. You’re still intelligent, you’re still capable and worthy of success, and you still have potential. This time didn’t go as you wanted but that doesn’t mean the future can’t go well. I’m really sorry it hasn’t gone as you wanted, please find someone to talk to about it and don’t be harsh on yourself for having a strong emotional reaction. Look after yourself, and you’ve got whatever it is that comes next.
Reply 2
Original post by tiredgiraff
It’s always hard to deal with grades we perceive as failure. It’s disappointing and painful and can make us question a lot about ourselves. The first thing is to feel the feelings and do activities that you enjoy. But you also have to practice being kind to yourself. You’re still intelligent, you’re still capable and worthy of success, and you still have potential. This time didn’t go as you wanted but that doesn’t mean the future can’t go well. I’m really sorry it hasn’t gone as you wanted, please find someone to talk to about it and don’t be harsh on yourself for having a strong emotional reaction. Look after yourself, and you’ve got whatever it is that comes next.

Awww you're so sweet. It will take time for me cos I'm someone that puts 100% effort in everything but when I don't get the grade I deserve I feel like everything collapses
Reply 3
Original post by Sooha
Awww you're so sweet. It will take time for me cos I'm someone that puts 100% effort in everything but when I don't get the grade I deserve I feel like everything collapses

My aim is to get a grade 9 in every single gcse I take
Original post by Sooha

I was the same when I did my GCSEs 6 years ago. I didn’t in the end, I got 9988887A6C (the C was in Astronomy where I got a D for my coursework) and I also failed a music grade that year. But now I’m at in my final year at Cambridge doing my dream subject and with an offer for a masters course that I love. At the time it feels like we have to get ‘perfect’ results like all the study tubers who say they did and so we can prove that we’re worthy of whatever it is we feel we’re not currently worthy of. I. Reality, GCSEs, A levels, even a degree, are just stepping stones to the next parts of our lives. I don’t know a single sixth form, university of employer that expects all 9s at GCSE because all 9s is not a symbol of the most worthy of all candidates. You should aim to get the grades you jeed to get into the sixth form you want, even the university you want if you’ve thought that far forward. And then if you meet that standard, great, if you don’t, you’re not worse or less worthy a person for it. But atm you’re putting more pressure on yourself than any institution would put on you. Work hard, yes, do the best you can, but you are worth far more than grades and learning about yourself, learning how to study and how to have a work-life balance are also key to your education.
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by Sooha

Perfectionism can be crippling, and can also suck the joy out of what would otherwise be perfectly celebratory results. 9 or 8 or 7 are all fantastic results. A. 6 is also great. 5 is average, which means wahey, you are totally, perfectly normal!! Also worth celebrating. 4 is a pass, which is worth popping the cork for too. 3, 2, 1 mean you need a bit more support, prob had some things going on that dragged you down a bit, but hey, you scored!!! And that is worth celebrating too. 🍾

Quick Reply

Latest