The Student Room Group

Wasted 3+ years of my life not being able to figure out what to do at uni

I would love some honest advice.

I don't know exactly why beyond a few anxieties like perfectionism and worrying about regrets with picking my course (there's a lot of courses in stem I like but not sure if theres any that sticks out to me / prospects (better to delay than get a degree half-heartedly), but I'm 21 now and still not at uni. I was meant to enrol in Manchester in 2022 and 2021 but I wasn't sure yet then either ...

I could go uni now as Lancaster's clearing for physics is open but I think its a worse location than Manchester which sucks but its the one open now for 2023.

I'm also wondering how uni will be at 21 / 22 / 23, as 2025 entry will be the latest ill go uni. I know people say uni is for all ages but I want to have the uni experience somewhat as well, and I want brutally honest truths here - will I be too old to fit in at 22 / 23?
Original post by Anonymous

I don't know exactly why beyond a few anxieties like perfectionism and worrying about regrets with picking my course (there's a lot of courses in stem I like but not sure if theres any that sticks out to me / prospects (better to delay than get a degree half-heartedly), but I'm 21 now and still not at uni. I was meant to enrol in Manchester in 2022 and 2021 but I wasn't sure yet then either ...

I could go uni now as Lancaster's clearing for physics is open but I think its a worse location than Manchester which sucks but its the one open now for 2023.

I'm also wondering how uni will be at 21 / 22 / 23, as 2025 entry will be the latest ill go uni. I know people say uni is for all ages but I want to have the uni experience somewhat as well, and I want brutally honest truths here - will I be too old to fit in at 22 / 23?

What have you done in the 3 years to help you make a decision?
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
What have you done in the 3 years to help you make a decision?

I'm embarrassed to say I've done hardly anything. I've tried to but nothing worked. I'm still trying now. But I did get a job for the majority of that time I guess.

My family told me to just do a degree I'm interested in (computer science / physics / nat sci are what I'm mostly looking at) and go from there.
Reply 3

No one will notice.And no one will care either.
Reply 4
Original post by Scotney
No one will notice.And no one will care either.

I believe that to be true but theres more to consider as well. I really want to make friends with people my age but sadly that's not how its been planned. My friends have graduated / last year left of uni so they'll have jobs while i'm still stuck on the other side.

And I would love to know if people in their early 20s can fit in being in first year? I don't want to be considered old / wiser
Reply 5
I believe that to be true but theres more to consider as well. I really want to make friends with people my age but sadly that's not how its been planned. My friends have graduated / last year left of uni so they'll have jobs while i'm still stuck on the other side.

And I would love to know if people in their early 20s can fit in being in first year? I don't want to be considered old / wiser

I had a 2 yr gap before starting uni myself.There was no real difference in my experience.My son is best friends with people who were first years when he was a third year.He was friendly with them at uni and they remain close friends 7 yrs later.Honestly it is not like school where you do not speak to other years.You are stuck in the' if only 'mindset.You need to focus on the here and now.
it's good that you worked a job

i would also do what your family said, to do a degree you're interested and then go from there

my advice is to join a university society with students who has a common interest with you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending