The Student Room Group

2023 Alevel Predictions

Does anyone have any predictions for this year's papers? I take edexcel and do The Picture of Dorian Gray, Beloved, Post 2000s poetry, Christina Rossetti, Hamlet and A Streetcar Named Desire. Message me if you wanna chat/take the same options!
Reply 1
Hey!! I'm doing Poems of the Decade and Christina Rossetti too!! How are you revising for Rossetti? I am resitting this year and my teachers are strictly teaching Keats so I have no revision buddies- what Rossetti poems are you doing?
Reply 2
for rossetti im doing some ladies, the world, remember, echo, may, a birthday, an apple gathering, maude clare, at home, up-hill, goblin market, what would i give, twice, memory, a christmas carol, passing and glassing, piteous my rhyme is, a helpmeet for him, as froth on the face of the deep, our mothers and babylon the great

(sorry for my reply taking ages) to be honest i'm not that worried with poems of the decade, i feel like the fact we dont need to know content makes it easy just to revise key points of analysis for each poem and their general meanings cause i can remember them as soon as i look at them really. with rossetti i'm sorting it all out into which theme each poem fits into and then their general direct link on this theme if u get what i mean so remember and echo are like two key ones to compare apparently if one comes up. my one problem is that rossetti context doesn't stick well in my head when it comes to poem analysis so im gonna focus on that quite a bit. although i have a week between the poetry paper and my one exam before that so it should be alright to revise cause i'll have a week lol

what r u doing? i can share with you some of my resources if you'd like but idk if they'd be helpful to you or not :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by delsiya
for rossetti im doing some ladies, the world, remember, echo, may, a birthday, an apple gathering, maude clare, at home, up-hill, goblin market, what would i give, twice, memory, a christmas carol, passing and glassing, piteous my rhyme is, a helpmeet for him, as froth on the face of the deep, our mothers and babylon the great

(sorry for my reply taking ages) to be honest i'm not that worried with poems of the decade, i feel like the fact we dont need to know content makes it easy just to revise key points of analysis for each poem and their general meanings cause i can remember them as soon as i look at them really. with rossetti i'm sorting it all out into which theme each poem fits into and then their general direct link on this theme if u get what i mean so remember and echo are like two key ones to compare apparently if one comes up. my one problem is that rossetti context doesn't stick well in my head when it comes to poem analysis so im gonna focus on that quite a bit. although i have a week between the poetry paper and my one exam before that so it should be alright to revise cause i'll have a week lol

what r u doing? i can share with you some of my resources if you'd like but idk if they'd be helpful to you or not :smile:

Hey! no problem about the timing of your answer!! I'm doing the exact same Rossetti poems as you are. I'm also not really worried about POTD because of the same reasons, I've done revision on annotating an unseen as well as the poems we've been taught and I have yet to struggle a lot. I can't say the same for Rossetti though! I find it so hard to remember quotes, or direct interpretations, but I think I'm quite settled in terms of the context surrounding her life, and the Jacobean society! I would really appreciate if you'd want to send some resources over, and I can also help with context if you need that!

In terms of context, I revise it by separating it into categories of Rossetti's life- if that makes sense. So I'd do things like religion, politics, feminism, family, love life, and society. And I'd have a few points for each, and write down any poems I can think of that will directly link to this. For ex : An Apple Gathering would have many contexts about the double standard in relationships, fallen women being ostracised by society, and Rossetti's time in St. Mary Magdalene church and how she sympathised for fallen women and believed they could be 'cured' through dedication to God.

Also the revision method you mentioned would be really helpful! I'm definitely going to try it out!
hi i’m late to this thread, but i’m sitting my a level exam for english lit this year! how did you guys find it best to structure your Rossetti essays as this is something i’m struggling with.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending