The Student Room Group

Is sociology exam really that easy?

I've been told very often that sociology is a very easy subject to pass. My teacher said that for common knowledge alone you can get a G3. In my case, I know many, many key terms and I know perspectives of Functionalists, Feminists, Marxist or New Right (more-less) and I am aiming for AT LEAST a P4. But seeing that it is considered really easy, is it really that simple to get over P4 for someone like me who usually is terrible at such things I actually enjoy sociology and I memorised lots of key terms etc. so do I need to worry really much?
Reply 1
I definitely wouldn’t call sociology an easy pass. But, if you’ve got a good understanding of things like class, gender, race etc and how it impacts families, education and crime it will make your life a lot easier.
I found a lot of it was stuff I already knew, but the essays are the difficult thing. For AQA there is two 12 mark questions per section, so four per exam. This means an hour of your exam should be essay writing, which can be difficult for many. Also, no one I’ve known to do sociology says it’s easy 😭
I’d say rather than focusing on key terms try and do practice 12 marks, as they make up the bulk of your essay and is where theories have the spotlight
Reply 2
Original post by charves14
I definitely wouldn’t call sociology an easy pass. But, if you’ve got a good understanding of things like class, gender, race etc and how it impacts families, education and crime it will make your life a lot easier.
I found a lot of it was stuff I already knew, but the essays are the difficult thing. For AQA there is two 12 mark questions per section, so four per exam. This means an hour of your exam should be essay writing, which can be difficult for many. Also, no one I’ve known to do sociology says it’s easy 😭
I’d say rather than focusing on key terms try and do practice 12 marks, as they make up the bulk of your essay and is where theories have the spotlight

I have a really good understanding (I think) and I revised a looooot (7 hours daily sometimes just for this subject). I tested my skills on 12 markers and I think I'll get at least 6 marks on them. Key terms aren't the problem, unless they ask me what principle of stratified diffusion (which I don't understand) is. :biggrin: But with my amount of knowledge I think I can do it and achieve at least P4
Reply 3
Original post by HotaruWalkthr
I have a really good understanding (I think) and I revised a looooot (7 hours daily sometimes just for this subject). I tested my skills on 12 markers and I think I'll get at least 6 marks on them. Key terms aren't the problem, unless they ask me what principle of stratified diffusion (which I don't understand) is. :biggrin: But with my amount of knowledge I think I can do it and achieve at least P4

One advantage with sociology is since a lot of people find it difficult the mark schemes are pretty reasonable, I can’t remember it exactly but you should be able to find grade boundaries for your exam board online. You seem super prepared though so best of luck
Reply 4
Original post by charves14
One advantage with sociology is since a lot of people find it difficult the mark schemes are pretty reasonable, I can’t remember it exactly but you should be able to find grade boundaries for your exam board online. You seem super prepared though so best of luck

Thank you very much :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest