The Student Room Group

I want to work in law firm in London, parents hostile

Bit of a weird one but just trying to see if anyone understands or can give me advice. I'm a law student in Scotland (don't want to be more specific) and I live at home. I'll be applying to traineeships this year and I want to apply to some ones in London as well as up here. I'd love to work in London and I don't see why I shouldn't aim for that. My grades are good and I work hard. Anyway, I'd applied to some law firm open days (London) and a couple have got back. But my parents aren't supportive. They obviously want me to stay up here, or rather have never considered that I might do something else. For context, both are blue collar workers. They don't understand why I'd want to go to London and keep saying to me things about how they don't know what I'm playing at, how I've never been to London and how I obviously don't know what I'm talking about. I don't know what to say. I'd like to go to the open days and at least explore this as a career option. And I understand I don't need my parents' permission or anything like that, but I have a good relationship with my parents otherwise, we've been through some things over the past few years and I like to make them proud. That's not somethings that's going to change so I need help to navigate this situation. Anyone have any advice to offer? That's not just 'f them, do your own thing' (not something I want to do). I can't talk to my uni friends because they're international students whose parents all have big jobs and definitely wouldn't have an issue like this. Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by lawstudent599
Bit of a weird one but just trying to see if anyone understands or can give me advice. I'm a law student in Scotland (don't want to be more specific) and I live at home. I'll be applying to traineeships this year and I want to apply to some ones in London as well as up here. I'd love to work in London and I don't see why I shouldn't aim for that. My grades are good and I work hard. Anyway, I'd applied to some law firm open days (London) and a couple have got back. But my parents aren't supportive. They obviously want me to stay up here, or rather have never considered that I might do something else. For context, both are blue collar workers. They don't understand why I'd want to go to London and keep saying to me things about how they don't know what I'm playing at, how I've never been to London and how I obviously don't know what I'm talking about. I don't know what to say. I'd like to go to the open days and at least explore this as a career option. And I understand I don't need my parents' permission or anything like that, but I have a good relationship with my parents otherwise, we've been through some things over the past few years and I like to make them proud. That's not somethings that's going to change so I need help to navigate this situation. Anyone have any advice to offer? That's not just 'f them, do your own thing' (not something I want to do). I can't talk to my uni friends because they're international students whose parents all have big jobs and definitely wouldn't have an issue like this. Thanks.

Don’t have much experience of this, but I can try giving you advice. Maybe it’ll help.

I would recommend to sit them down and have a calm conversation. Ask them why they feel worried about London and try to address their issues. Perhaps offer that you will visit them often (maybe they don’t like the idea of you being so far away). Tell them that you respect both of them but would appreciate if they at least let you explore that option too. Convince them to let you visit the city and see what its like, or let you attend the open days. Search about the positives of a law career in London as compared to Scotland and let them know why that interests you. Don’t let the conversation get to a point where you all start arguing, otherwise at that point it becomes more of a stubborn grudge of each of you. Take it slow, and hopefully they will eventually soften up to the idea. It seems like they are just a bit shocked because they never considered that idea - give it time.

At the end of the day, if they still refuse, you will need to choose between respecting them or going for London; it depends how badly you actually want it.

(Also, crying always helps 😉)
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by awliya

I-
It is just outside their understanding, that's all. I am from the NE (England) and some gorups of people there do not want to live more than a few streets away from their parents. It is just how some people operate. Luckily my parents both moved from home to university (although not that far, but still left home) and were very keen we all left home for good universities.

You could tell your parents your chances are very slim (which would not really be a lie as tons of people with the highest grades cannot get training contracts in London) and you just would not forgive yourself if you did not give it a go and then don't mention it to them. They don't need to know every application you make and every job you consider.

Good luck.
Reply 4
Original post by awliya
Don’t have much experience of this, but I can try giving you advice. Maybe it’ll help.

I would recommend to sit them down and have a calm conversation. Ask them why they feel worried about London and try to address their issues. Perhaps offer that you will visit them often (maybe they don’t like the idea of you being so far away). Tell them that you respect both of them but would appreciate if they at least let you explore that option too. Convince them to let you visit the city and see what its like, or let you attend the open days. Search about the positives of a law career in London as compared to Scotland and let them know why that interests you. Don’t let the conversation get to a point where you all start arguing, otherwise at that point it becomes more of a stubborn grudge of each of you. Take it slow, and hopefully they will eventually soften up to the idea. It seems like they are just a bit shocked because they never considered that idea - give it time.

At the end of the day, if they still refuse, you will need to choose between respecting them or going for London; it depends how badly you actually want it.

Hahahah, thanks for your reply! I think emphasising that this is just about exploring an option is the best idea. I just went ahead and booked my travel because I already didn't go to another open day a couple months ago when I got the same reaction (which I just accepted) but I'm not doing that again. Haven't actually told them about my travel bookings yet that but earlier they started asking me how exactly I was planning to get there and I had answers to give (since I've already booked my travel lol) which helped I think. So they're at least chill with the open day, but I think I'll defo have to have the conversation you described as far as applying to vacation schemes and traineeships goes. But I think you're right about them just needing time to warm up to the idea.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by 17Student17
It is just outside their understanding, that's all. I am from the NE (England) and some gorups of people there do not want to live more than a few streets away from their parents. It is just how some people operate. Luckily my parents both moved from home to university (although not that far, but still left home) and were very keen we all left home for good universities.

You could tell your parents your chances are very slim (which would not really be a lie as tons of people with the highest grades cannot get training contracts in London) and you just would not forgive yourself if you did not give it a go and then don't mention it to them. They don't need to know every application you make and every job you consider.

Good luck.

Thanks for your reply! You're absolutely right about me regretting not going. As I mentioned in my post above, I already chickened out of arguing with my parents about another open day earlier this year and I don't want to do that again. And as you said, there are many steps that I'd need to be successful at if I were to get a London traineeship, the chances of which are of course slim.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending