The Student Room Group

regretting university decision (entering year 2)

Is it too late to switch courses or restart uni from year one in another university?

I am a 1st year overseas student studying law at The University of Nottingham. I got in last year even though it was my insurance choice, I declined my firm choice - Kings for philosophy BA (they rejected me for law and offered me philosophy instead). My parents believed that a degree in philosophy would not provide me with a clear employment perspective compared to a law degree once I finished uni (since I intend to return to my country to work once i graduate in the uk). However, i've always wanted to go to a london uni since i was in year 9, especially King's. I didnt mean nottingham was horrible, in fact the campus is very lovely:smile: the teaching staff are nice and friendly too! However, I did not get along well here; I always felt a lack of belonging, and I was even diagnosed with depression (seeing a GP regularly) after i got here. There weren't many international students in my course, and I tried hard to make friends with the locals, but they didn't seem very welcoming, so I assumed it was my fault. I continued overthinking, which lowered my self-esteem. And now, my parents are quite concerned about my condition; I don't want to worry them, but deep down within, I still wanted to switch to a london uni with my frds, although I know it may not come out as well as I had hoped. I don't know if I should be honest with my parents and talk to them.
Reply 1
Original post by FoxAkumaa
Is it too late to switch courses or restart uni from year one in another university?

I am a 1st year overseas student studying law at The University of Nottingham. I got in last year even though it was my insurance choice, I declined my firm choice - Kings for philosophy BA (they rejected me for law and offered me philosophy instead). My parents believed that a degree in philosophy would not provide me with a clear employment perspective compared to a law degree once I finished uni (since I intend to return to my country to work once i graduate in the uk). However, i've always wanted to go to a london uni since i was in year 9, especially King's. I didnt mean nottingham was horrible, in fact the campus is very lovely:smile: the teaching staff are nice and friendly too! However, I did not get along well here; I always felt a lack of belonging, and I was even diagnosed with depression (seeing a GP regularly) after i got here. There weren't many international students in my course, and I tried hard to make friends with the locals, but they didn't seem very welcoming, so I assumed it was my fault. I continued overthinking, which lowered my self-esteem. And now, my parents are quite concerned about my condition; I don't want to worry them, but deep down within, I still wanted to switch to a london uni with my frds, although I know it may not come out as well as I had hoped. I don't know if I should be honest with my parents and talk to them.

I’m so sorry to hear this. I would definitely advise talking to your parents and telling them how you feel.
Reply 2
Mental health is more important. Extending your education by a year is worth it compared to a lifetime of regrets and poor health.
Original post by FoxAkumaa

Hello @FoxAkumaa,

Please talk with your parents and share how you're feeling, it can be hard to start the conversation but trust me it's worth it.

It's great that you're seeing a GP and getting help...are there any support services you can access at Nottingham uni, like a wellbeing team or their Students' Union? The SU may have societies for international students you could join, or they may be aware of other mental health services at Nottingham uni.

It's not impossible to move to a different university, but there are some conditions which need to be met. Nottingham should be able to advise you on how/if you can move, but there's some info on the UCAS site which is a good starter: https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/student-life/getting-student-support/changing-or-leaving-your-course#transferring-to-a-course-at-a-different-university-or-college

I hope you get on ok 😊

Amy

Official University of Suffolk rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending