The Student Room Group

Wondering between Oxford and Cambridge for History and Politics

I naturally prefer the HAT but admission rates are lower and I'd have less time to revise. Should I do Oxford HAT or Cambridge HAA?
Reply 1
Hi Im also thinking of applying for History and Politics- ultimately after revising for both the tests just for practise I must say the Oxford HAT is just slightly more helpful- the questions they give are direct and ask you to look at specific areas- great for providing a pre-essay plan compared to Cambridge. Ultimately however it depends on your choice of content in general- do you like the topics that oxford teach in undergrad better than cambridge?
Original post by do de die egg
I naturally prefer the HAT but admission rates are lower and I'd have less time to revise. Should I do Oxford HAT or Cambridge HAA?

It's not significantly harder to get into either Oxford or Cambridge. The former often have lower offer rates, but they also have lower conditional offers, so it's less likely that your offer would be withdrawn if you mess up your A levels a little. If you really wanted to minmax things, then you might have a slightly higher chance of being accepted into Cambridge if you're very confident that you'll do well in your A levels. My recommendation as an Oxford hispol student is to just apply to whichever university and course you think you'd like more. You'll be here for three full years, make sure you don't regret your choice.
Original post by emilyalexandria
It's not significantly harder to get into either Oxford or Cambridge. The former often have lower offer rates, but they also have lower conditional offers, so it's less likely that your offer would be withdrawn if you mess up your A levels a little. If you really wanted to minmax things, then you might have a slightly higher chance of being accepted into Cambridge if you're very confident that you'll do well in your A levels. My recommendation as an Oxford hispol student is to just apply to whichever university and course you think you'd like more. You'll be here for three full years, make sure you don't regret your choice.

Thanks I decided Oxford in the end because I preferred the format of the test. I'm thinking of applying to Univ College but what would you recommend?
Original post by Samiy
Hi Im also thinking of applying for History and Politics- ultimately after revising for both the tests just for practise I must say the Oxford HAT is just slightly more helpful- the questions they give are direct and ask you to look at specific areas- great for providing a pre-essay plan compared to Cambridge. Ultimately however it depends on your choice of content in general- do you like the topics that oxford teach in undergrad better than cambridge?

Thanks for the advice! I do prefer the Oxford topics and I've done a mock Oxford HAT exam and I preferred it so I've decided to go for Oxford. What college are you thinking of applying to?
(edited 7 months ago)
Thanks I decided Oxford in the end because I preferred the format of the test. I'm thinking of applying to Univ College but what would you recommend?

Univ is nice! It's hard to give recommendations without knowing what sort of college you're looking for.
Reply 6
Thanks for the advice! I do prefer the Oxford topics and I've done a mock Oxford HAT exam and I preferred it so I've decided to go for Oxford. What college are you thinking of applying to?

Me personally I'm applying to Cambridge for Newnham college but only because visiting Uni of Oxford made me realise it wasn't for me , also because I really liked Newnham's campus- the reason why I say Oxford is better for admissions through is because if u get an offer (hopefully!) the requirements are lower+the HAT really is easier than the HAA (I chose to revise both just in case)-
Reply 7
Original post by Samiy
Me personally I'm applying to Cambridge for Newnham college but only because visiting Uni of Oxford made me realise it wasn't for me , also because I really liked Newnham's campus- the reason why I say Oxford is better for admissions through is because if u get an offer (hopefully!) the requirements are lower+the HAT really is easier than the HAA (I chose to revise both just in case)-

If you can, go to the open days of the Universities as well, you get a vibe of whether you feel like you'd suit there

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending