The Student Room Group

How do resitting a levels work??

How do they work? Do you take 2 gap years to apply? Do universities even accept resists for medicine? With what grades do you apply? Do you sit your exams in summer like you normally would or do you do it earlier? Do you get a conditional or unconditional offer from universities? Can you resit all 3 subjects or just one? Do you need the school to help or a private tutor? I want to keep all my options open if my exams don't go as expected this summer, but I know nothing about resits and I was wondering if someone could answer. Thank you!!
Reply 1
Original post by versacequeen
How do they work? Do you take 2 gap years to apply? Do universities even accept resists for medicine? With what grades do you apply? Do you sit your exams in summer like you normally would or do you do it earlier? Do you get a conditional or unconditional offer from universities? Can you resit all 3 subjects or just one? Do you need the school to help or a private tutor? I want to keep all my options open if my exams don't go as expected this summer, but I know nothing about resits and I was wondering if someone could answer. Thank you!!

im not sure but i think its like it is in normal a levels but u go to a special place for it i think, if i find out ill let u know

Hey I think you need to sign up to your nearest exam centre and they will help you with resitting your a levels. I think some medical schools might not accept resits and even if you resit, you might have to get a higher grade than before
Good luck for the summer exams
(edited 11 months ago)

Hi! I am resitting my a levels this year! So what happened was I did my a levels last year and didn't get the grades for dentistry, this year I went to a college got NEW predicted grades from them (had to work overtime in september just to get the teachers to give me As) or I know some people who go to the same college or sixth form again but I personally didn't want to do that.( I also know someone who is going to resit their a levels and then re-apply next year, 2 gap years are way more common on than you might think)
Then I applied as normal, and I will be sitting my a levels again now. You have to check carefully which unis take resits or not, but I am resitting all 3 a levels, and thankfully some unis say that you must sit them all at the same time but don't explicitly say resits aren't allowed.
You can resit as many as you want, and then you can either go back to your old college or sixth form to do them, or you can sit them privately in a exam centre. To sit them privately you have to search exam centres near you and make sure you do it early on because they fill up really quickly and some need notice at least a few months before exams.
This time last year I was failing all my subjects, especially chemistry and it got to me really bad. I know what it's like! If you need any help or anything before your a levels begin my dms are always open :smile: and good luck!
Reply 4
That is really helpful, thank you!! Have you got any offers to study dentistry, and is dentistry the same as medicine in the way that some unis do not accept resits? hope you exams go well!!
Original post by emmyisthebest01
Hi! I am resitting my a levels this year! So what happened was I did my a levels last year and didn't get the grades for dentistry, this year I went to a college got NEW predicted grades from them (had to work overtime in september just to get the teachers to give me As) or I know some people who go to the same college or sixth form again but I personally didn't want to do that.( I also know someone who is going to resit their a levels and then re-apply next year, 2 gap years are way more common on than you might think)
Then I applied as normal, and I will be sitting my a levels again now. You have to check carefully which unis take resits or not, but I am resitting all 3 a levels, and thankfully some unis say that you must sit them all at the same time but don't explicitly say resits aren't allowed.
You can resit as many as you want, and then you can either go back to your old college or sixth form to do them, or you can sit them privately in a exam centre. To sit them privately you have to search exam centres near you and make sure you do it early on because they fill up really quickly and some need notice at least a few months before exams.
This time last year I was failing all my subjects, especially chemistry and it got to me really bad. I know what it's like! If you need any help or anything before your a levels begin my dms are always open :smile: and good luck!
Reply 5
yeah I just checked online, most of them only accept if you have extenuating circumstances :frown: its ok, thank you for your help!
Original post by foreverrocking
Hey I think you need to sign up to your nearest exam centre and they will help you with resitting your a levels. I think some medical schools might not accept resits and even if you resit, you might have to get a higher grade than before
Good luck for the summer exams
Reply 6
Original post by emmyisthebest01

I am also most definitely going to have to resit my chemistry. May i ask how you applied to the new college? Would i still be able to now?

Quick Reply

Latest