The Student Room Group

Should I resit my A levels even though i’m in uni?

xxx
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 1
I wouldn't have thought A-levels matter once you obtain a degree, curious as to what's pushing you to consider this?
Reply 2
looking at applying to vacation schemes (during my degree paid internships) and training contacts (post grad work qualifying work experience). they usually ask for 2:1 and a ABB in a levels
Reply 3
Original post by Samij123
looking at applying to vacation schemes (during my degree paid internships) and training contacts (post grad work qualifying work experience). they usually ask for 2:1 and a ABB in a levels

If you're willing to invest the time, money, and effort whilst balancing university then go all for it; does your university have a post-grad officer or general person you could speak to about this?
Reply 4
xxx

Depends on a number of things…

How important is this in regards to what you are applying for? Are your current results holding you back and preventing you etc.

What A Levels would you be resitting? Consider alternative certifications or work experience which may actually benefit your degree more etc.

Do you really have the time and energy to resit A Levels when you’re already doing a degree? How important is your social life? Consider how this might negatively impact your degree, which I’d argue is the most important qualification to be concerned with.

If it were me, I probably wouldn’t bother. If an employer is going to be that concerned with your A Level grades over your Degree then I’d take that as a sign that it probably isn’t the right place for you.
No, waste of time and probably not possible anyway due to timetabling issues with your uni exams.

Ultimately the grad schemes etc that care about your A-level grades are also likely to care whether they were at first sitting or resits anyway. The vast majority which don't care about your A-level grades therefore won't care if you got higher grades after a resit or not.

Anyway it's really a non-starter because there is fundamentally no mechanism to resolve clashes between your uni exams and A-level resit exams. Also you can't just "not declare" the resits in most situations later so you may well be in a situation where you have e.g. a B in the original sitting then a U in the retake because you couldn't go to that exam because you had an exam for your degree the same day. Or worse, you go to the resit and then fail a module on your degree...

That's even before considering the workload issues. Just not even worth considering. Far better ways to spend your time, especially in terms of improving employability.

Also I've moved your thread to uni life, as it was in the medical schools forum for some reason.
(edited 4 months ago)
xxx

Hi there

I understand that firms often look for good academic results, so it may be useful trying to get your A level grades up to meet their application requirements.

However, I think that you should firstly focus on your University grades. You are paying a lot for your degree, and it does take a lot of effort to achieve good grades. In my opinion it would be difficult to spare time to revise properly for A levels whilst properly studying for your University exams. You could always try to pull up your University grades later on.

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending