The Student Room Group

Resitting an A level

So I've just done paper 1 a level physics and I think it went terribly, probably a U. So I was thinking of retaking it next year and wanted to know whether i could resit whilst in uni? (that's if i even get into uni by clearing) i want to retake it online and just do the exams in an exam centre or whatever. Or would I have to fully take a gap year? Anyone resitting or anyone who knows anything please help
Reply 1
You'd run the risk of ruining both your resit and uni grades (and that's if you were even able to sit both, it's entirely possible that the exams would clash with your uni exams).

Is there a particular reason you'd be considering resitting even if you'd already managed to get into uni with existing grades?
Original post by Interea
You'd run the risk of ruining both your resit and uni grades (and that's if you were even able to sit both, it's entirely possible that the exams would clash with your uni exams).

Is there a particular reason you'd be considering resitting even if you'd already managed to get into uni with existing grades?

oh yeah that's true...
well i've got two apprenticeships lined up that i obviously can't take because i needed the a levels which i now know i won't be achieving, so i want to make sure i have the a levels so that i can apply to more apprenticeships whilst in uni or whilst I'm resitting. because uni life isn't really what i had in mind for myself
Reply 3
Original post by ihateocrphysics
oh yeah that's true...
well i've got two apprenticeships lined up that i obviously can't take because i needed the a levels which i now know i won't be achieving, so i want to make sure i have the a levels so that i can apply to more apprenticeships whilst in uni or whilst I'm resitting. because uni life isn't really what i had in mind for myself

It sounds like a gap year would be the better option for you anyway then. A degree is a huge time and money commitment, particularly if you have no real intention of finishing it, and a last minute clearing degree choice with minimal thought put into it just sounds like a good way to waste money.

Hopefully things have gone better than expected and you can continue on with your plans as before, but if not then a gap year to improve grades, gain experience etc. sounds much more beneficial than starting an expensive degree you don't care about.
Reply 4
I'm in the same boat as you, aqa p1 didn't go too well and am planning on retaking the year, which in my opinion is the better option. Firstly you have a year to work on yourself and really prove that you are capable of so much more, work on your mental health and physical health during the gap year and come out of it stronger than you have ever been before, aim for triple A*s. Also I don't think you would be able to apply to degree apprenticeships whilst at uni.
Reply 5
Original post by ihateocrphysics
So I've just done paper 1 a level physics and I think it went terribly, probably a U. So I was thinking of retaking it next year and wanted to know whether i could resit whilst in uni? (that's if i even get into uni by clearing) i want to retake it online and just do the exams in an exam centre or whatever. Or would I have to fully take a gap year? Anyone resitting or anyone who knows anything please help

Heya!
Have you considered doing a gap year and retaking physics? If you do uni and alvls at the same it might not go well as it will be a lot of work. Is there any reason you wouldn't want to do a gap year?

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Original post by Ggdjhggg
I'm in the same boat as you, aqa p1 didn't go too well and am planning on retaking the year, which in my opinion is the better option. Firstly you have a year to work on yourself and really prove that you are capable of so much more, work on your mental health and physical health during the gap year and come out of it stronger than you have ever been before, aim for triple A*s. Also I don't think you would be able to apply to degree apprenticeships whilst at uni.

thanks for replying i feel a lot less alone now lol, and yeah that's true i feel like i need to work on myself quite a bit!! and why can't i apply to degree apprenticeships at uni? can't i drop out of uni if i get an offer for one or is it just not possible to apply I'm not too sure how it works
Hey! Last year one of my law papers went absolutely abysmal (so i thought), and I thought the other two only went okay. I thought I failed and I ruined my chances but I got an amazing grade in the end, so don’t try and predict the future, and just try your hardest on your other papers!
Original post by StudyMind
Heya!
Have you considered doing a gap year and retaking physics? If you do uni and alvls at the same it might not go well as it will be a lot of work. Is there any reason you wouldn't want to do a gap year?

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

hii, yeah i'm considering a gap year to retake it now however a bit scared cause my school doesn't do resits so I'm gonna have to do all that research and stuff cause i have no idea how it works eek!! my mind was just all over the place after the exam because my heart was deadset on an apprenticeship i only needed the grades which i was sure i was gonna get.. but honestly i screwed everything with physics and know 100% i won't be getting the grades for it. so then i was thinking of going uni (which was if i even got in through clearing) but then i felt really scared about moving forwards with only two a levels cause what if i hated my course or wanted to get an apprenticeship (can't with two a levels) so THEN thought about a gap year but I'm just really scared about how it'd look in interviews and stuff and it just overall seems such a hassle, but it's probably the best thing to do
Original post by Squiggles1238
Hey! Last year one of my law papers went absolutely abysmal (so i thought), and I thought the other two only went okay. I thought I failed and I ruined my chances but I got an amazing grade in the end, so don’t try and predict the future, and just try your hardest on your other papers!

thanks sm :smile: but paper 1 is the easiest paper of the three ahh!! and honestly i KNOW I've done terribly and unfortunately the grade boundaries are insane so i'd have to get like full marks in the next paper (which is literally impossible) so I'm trying not to sugarcoat the fact that I'm gonna fail and just hopefully get a plan for the future cause that's my biggest concern
Reply 10
If your school doesn't offer resist you need to find an exam center where you can sit them, however you need to pay for each subject your resulting, for me it's costs roughly £300 per subject in a exam center , but in my case my school will most likely allow me to resist the exam as one of their candidates this sorts me out for 2 of my a levels, however I will need to self fund my 3rd(computer science) a level as my school has changed the exam board and I am too used to the og exam board as I've done it since gcse, so take this into consideration, but do not be put off by the fact you will have to pay to resit your exams, you can work during your resist year. Don't be too worried about employers, they usually only look at your highest form of education from what I've heard, and even if they do check your a level why would they care you retook a year, it only shows your resilience especially if you do really well.
Reply 11
Also I just wanted to ask you something:

Resiting my a levels is probably the best option for me and I am aware of that, however i don't know how my parents would feel about it, this is the hardest part about making the decision. How do you think your parents would react.
Reply 12

Resiting my a levels is probably the best option for me and I am aware of that, however i don't know how my parents would feel about it, this is the hardest part about making the decision. How do you think your parents would react.

hey im thinking of retaking an a level too and i've already dropped hints to my parents. they aren't too angry atm but i know they will be on results day.. I plan on telling them how even if it's one year retake, it can set me up for my next big steps, I also know so many people who retook a levels and were glad they did, I plan on working during my gap year so if i decide to go to university i have funds, i may be able to get work experience/ travel which is good for my CV, and i also have all the resources i need as i wont be learning new content!

hey sorry only just seen this, i was so so disappointed in myself and i don't think my parents had ever seen me in such a state after my exam that i want to retake, so i was straight up and said i really don't think I'm going to have any options but to retake and of course they're going to support me through it but my parents do keep telling me to try as hard as i can. i don't know why but my parents still have faith in me not failing but I'm the one who did the exams so I'm like 99% sure i need to retake, they're gonna be so disappointed on results day but honestly in the long term it's the grades that we need for career progression and whatever so honestly don't worry about how badly your parents react
Reply 14
omg i did aqa physics this year as a yr 13 and honestly im thinking of retaking as well.. it was so terrible. im so lost and i dont know what to do. im thinking of clearing as i had initially applied for something else but now ive changed my mind. so its either clearing or reapply next year.

Quick Reply

Latest