The Student Room Group

Getting a 2:2 first year

Am I screwed for internships/placements in software engineering if I get a 2:2 first year? I think I may get a 2:2.
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by Destoinyt-etete
Am I screwed for internships/placements in software engineering if I get a 2:2 first year? I think I may get a 2:2.

Not necessarily. Firstly, to be technical, you can't get a 2:2 for first year - or any part of your degree - as a 2:2 refers to a lower second class honours degree, i.e. a completed degree. To be more specific in regards to internships and placements, many will want someone who is predicted to achieve a 2:1. Given that universities don't generally do predicted grades, you can predict yourself a 2:1. Lots of people who get below 60% in first year are able to improve and go on to achieve 2:1s (and even firsts!).
Original post by Smack
Not necessarily. Firstly, to be technical, you can't get a 2:2 for first year - or any part of your degree - as a 2:2 refers to a lower second class honours degree, i.e. a completed degree. To be more specific in regards to internships and placements, many will want someone who is predicted to achieve a 2:1. Given that universities don't generally do predicted grades, you can predict yourself a 2:1. Lots of people who get below 60% in first year are able to improve and go on to achieve 2:1s (and even firsts!).

But if you say predicted 2:1 but then they ask for transcript and you're getting 2:2 and few percentages off a 2:1 wouldn't that like look bad? Fumbled my grades because of external issues and didn't file any EC's, not that I can do that anymore. Luckily, first year doesn't count as part of my degree though.. I'm doing coding projects in my spare time though just for fun :biggrin: Also, do I just write 2:1 or predicted 2:1, just to clarify and make sure.
(edited 11 months ago)
But if you say predicted 2:1 but then they ask for transcript and you're getting 2:2 and few percentages off a 2:1 wouldn't that like look bad? Fumbled my grades because of external issues and didn't file any EC's, not that I can do that anymore. Luckily, first year doesn't count as part of my degree though.. I'm doing coding projects in my spare time though just for fun :biggrin: Also, do I just write 2:1 or predicted 2:1, just to clarify and make sure.

If an employer requests a transcript it's up to them how they interpret it.

You can write predicted 2:1, since you haven't got a 2:1, as that is a full degree.
Original post by Smack
If an employer requests a transcript it's up to them how they interpret it.

You can write predicted 2:1, since you haven't got a 2:1, as that is a full degree.

Thanks a lot! Much appreciated for the advice really, I'm doing things outside of uni like projects. Thx
Thanks a lot! Much appreciated for the advice really, I'm doing things outside of uni like projects. Thx

Hi there,

It may be a good idea to seek the advice of your university's careers service regarding this. It would also add weight to your CV/application to include the extra-curricular projects that you are currently undertaking outside of uni, it shows initiative to the prospective employer.

Best of luck in your search for a placement!

Kind regards,
Juzer

Hi @Destoinyt-etete I am a second year student that did go through something similar on you CV I would recommend highlighting the modules that went well as touch on the not so great modules less. Because it is first year this does not count towards your degree whilst this will help to obtain placements it is not vital to finish the year with a 1st I would recommend when you get an interview for potential placements be honest with them and inform them what areas you are still working on to improve your skills. Don't lose hope and keep applying! Hope this helps
Gurpej (Student Rep)
Reply 7

I went through a lot of recruiting cycles when I was looking for engineering placements/internships and then for the graduate roles.
I did pretty bad in my 1st year, probably getting around 2:2 as well, however I always put "predicted 1st" in my applications. I did achieve it in the end so it wasn't a lie. Some Unis do that formally where a head of department or a lead tutor would give you a letter with "predicted" grade, but even then you are not required to submit it to the employer. You can always say "references available upon request" in the application. 99% of the time no one checks for the references unless the job is in defence, aerospace or medical sectors (sometimes in building/construction, but not that often).

In my experience doing literally dozens of job applications and a little shy of 10 interviews, and in the end receiving about 4-5 job offers, I can say that not a single time an employer (no matter how big, think GE, Arup, Thales kind of companies) requested my grades transcript.
The only time when that happened was for my graduate role - I've gotten a conditional job offer (pretty standard thing) where the requirement was for me to achieve a minimum of 2:1. I achieved 1st, submitted my diploma to the employer and gotten the job offer firmed there and then no problem.

Now in my job I employ STEM interns and graduates for the place where I work and I can say that I only care if you get 2:1 or better at the end of your studies. I couldn't care less if you've gotten a 2:2 on your 1st year, it doesn't mean much. Same as if your A levels or whatever were poor, who cares?
What will matter more is the quality of your application and how you perform on the interview if you get to that stage.
The very big corporations have the luxury of being able to cherry pick from the pool of candidates since they receive hundreds of application per an open position, so expect tougher competition.
Don't worry though, if you put enough effort in the studies you can get 1st too, or at least a 2:1 without much problems. About 30% of my class gotten 1st, 50% 2:1 and the rest 2:2 and below.
You can always add value to your resume by doing extracurricular activities that are relevant to your degree. For instance Formula student competition is one of the best things you can do in that regard. If you can't get involved in that, then do some engineering related projects in your spare time - CAD drawings and analysis if you're Mech Eng, circuit design and C programming if you're Elec Eng, write code if you're in CS or any other STEM domain. Build your portfolio basically.

An advise if you don't mind - never compromise yourself on your CV or in the interview. Admitting mistakes or shortcomings is a good trait to show especially if you've recovered from that, but if you must then only do that in the later stages of recruitment, ideally in the interview where you can explain in the detail your weaknesses and how you managed to overcome them and become better. Don't lie on your resume, but also don't compromise yourself.

All the best,
Al
Original post by ThatguyAl
I went through a lot of recruiting cycles when I was looking for engineering placements/internships and then for the graduate roles.
I did pretty bad in my 1st year, probably getting around 2:2 as well, however I always put "predicted 1st" in my applications. I did achieve it in the end so it wasn't a lie. Some Unis do that formally where a head of department or a lead tutor would give you a letter with "predicted" grade, but even then you are not required to submit it to the employer. You can always say "references available upon request" in the application. 99% of the time no one checks for the references unless the job is in defence, aerospace or medical sectors (sometimes in building/construction, but not that often).

In my experience doing literally dozens of job applications and a little shy of 10 interviews, and in the end receiving about 4-5 job offers, I can say that not a single time an employer (no matter how big, think GE, Arup, Thales kind of companies) requested my grades transcript.
The only time when that happened was for my graduate role - I've gotten a conditional job offer (pretty standard thing) where the requirement was for me to achieve a minimum of 2:1. I achieved 1st, submitted my diploma to the employer and gotten the job offer firmed there and then no problem.

Now in my job I employ STEM interns and graduates for the place where I work and I can say that I only care if you get 2:1 or better at the end of your studies. I couldn't care less if you've gotten a 2:2 on your 1st year, it doesn't mean much. Same as if your A levels or whatever were poor, who cares?
What will matter more is the quality of your application and how you perform on the interview if you get to that stage.
The very big corporations have the luxury of being able to cherry pick from the pool of candidates since they receive hundreds of application per an open position, so expect tougher competition.
Don't worry though, if you put enough effort in the studies you can get 1st too, or at least a 2:1 without much problems. About 30% of my class gotten 1st, 50% 2:1 and the rest 2:2 and below.
You can always add value to your resume by doing extracurricular activities that are relevant to your degree. For instance Formula student competition is one of the best things you can do in that regard. If you can't get involved in that, then do some engineering related projects in your spare time - CAD drawings and analysis if you're Mech Eng, circuit design and C programming if you're Elec Eng, write code if you're in CS or any other STEM domain. Build your portfolio basically.

An advise if you don't mind - never compromise yourself on your CV or in the interview. Admitting mistakes or shortcomings is a good trait to show especially if you've recovered from that, but if you must then only do that in the later stages of recruitment, ideally in the interview where you can explain in the detail your weaknesses and how you managed to overcome them and become better. Don't lie on your resume, but also don't compromise yourself.

All the best,
Al

Thank you. I'll definitely do better next years. Tbh, maybe it might be better for me to work at smaller startups earlier. Thank you!
Original post by ThatguyAl

All the best,
Al

Thank you. I'll definitely do better next years. Tbh, maybe it might be better for me to work at smaller startups earlier. Thank you!

Hi @Destoinyt-etete, I was in a similar situation whilst applying for placement. I can say that this did not affect my chances of securing a placement. I will be starting my placement this September. What I would recommend is to make sure your CV is completed and a draft cover letter. When you are applying in September it will save you time when applying as you only need to tailor the cover letter to the specific job description. Hope this helps.

Gurpej Kaur(Student Rep)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending