The Student Room Group

Is it possible to get a 2:1 if I've already failed first semester? (second year)

Genuinely curious as I'm absolutely desperate to get at least a 2:1 so I can progress onto a masters, but I have ADHD that was undiagnosed until the end of the 1st semester of second year. I was barely able to focus, and forgot to hand a lot of stuff in on time. I only just passed first year and am likely going to do poorly for the first semester of second year. Basically, is it possible to recover my grades enough to get a 2:1 overall? Just so I don't keep my hopes up for no reason if it's not haha.
Original post by millileid
Genuinely curious as I'm absolutely desperate to get at least a 2:1 so I can progress onto a masters, but I have ADHD that was undiagnosed until the end of the 1st semester of second year. I was barely able to focus, and forgot to hand a lot of stuff in on time. I only just passed first year and am likely going to do poorly for the first semester of second year. Basically, is it possible to recover my grades enough to get a 2:1 overall? Just so I don't keep my hopes up for no reason if it's not haha.

Hey!

It depends on the weighting of different modules/assignments! It could definitely be possible if you do really well this semester - What were the weightings of your first semester?

Best of luck with everything!
Natalie
Reply 2

Yes my daughter got a 2:2 in second year and she got a first in third year to put her up to a 2:1.
Her course was an integrated masters in physics so she needed the 2:1 in third year to progress to year 4.
She had other health issues in second year which have improved, but the worry was still there. She was very proactive in third year. She made sure her course work was as high as it could be and her exams and her timings were better. Also many many meetings with the supervisor and the head of department. She made sure she was on their radar. Any topic struggles, she was on it with as much help as she could.

Hello Millileid,

The fact that you passed first year is an achievement in itself, well done. Please remember that your marks are made up of all three years, I think depending on your course, so in second and third year, try to work super hard on your assessments. Do this by making to do lists, setting up alarms, reminders on your phones - all these may help you. I hope it does, know you can do it so keep going.

Hassa, Student Ambassador Liverpool Hope University.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending