The Student Room Group

Do uni's round up degree class percentages?

I have just finished my first year law course and have averaged 59.5 and want to know if the uni would round this up to 60%. Therefore, I will have a 2.1 instead of a 2.2. If anyone knows please let me know.

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

I'm in the same boat as you, on the boarderline for a 2.2, 2.1. I don't know either, but I have heard that in some cases your tutors will look over all or some of your coursework and decide on a grade for you that way or a tutor will give you a sort of oral assesment. I think this may be more for people who are boarderline for a pass or first though and besides it varies between uni's. Good luck anyway, hope you get a 2.1, I'm sure at 59.5 they'll round it up!
Reply 2
i dont think they round your average up tbh
Reply 3
Mine didn't.
To expand slightly, your average is what it is.

If you need 60% and you get 59.776578%

...you didn't get 60%
So it's not a 2:1.
Reply 4
There are no hard and fast rules about this, unfortunately. One department might bump up your grade to a 2.1, whereas another might not. Check your course handbook for the exact requirements for a 2.1 set out by *your* department (which could well be something along the lines of 'an average of at least 59 and marks between 60 and 69 on at least two modules'). If you can't find the information in the handbook, ask your departmental secretary. Don't bother asking your tutors, as they often don't know about these things - whereas secretaries are the ones who actually deal with the admin work, so they tend to be much more knowledgeable on such matters.
Even though i'm only going to uni in September.. I thought first year scores don't count towards the final? I could be wrong.
Should be in your uni's quality manual or whatever they call it. At Nottingham, it's rounded to the nearest integer. So if you get 59.4, you end up with 59%. If you get 59.5, it goes up to 60%. Classification is then awarded on the rounded values.
Reply 7
yeah first year doesn't count anyway?
It depends on the university. Some are very strict and if it isn't 60 or above, it's not a 2:1.
Reply 9
aegilia reghander
Even though i'm only going to uni in September.. I thought first year scores don't count towards the final? I could be wrong.

Depends what course you do and what uni you're at. As a general rule, first year marks do not contribute to your overall degree. However, in medicine I think some modules count for a tiny percentage of the degree and these are taken in first year.

Also, even though the grade doesn't "count", if you want to apply for internships or go on a year abroad it is always best to get a 2:1 in your first year as it shows commitment and academic ability.

I think as well, at least that's the case at Leeds Uni where I go, that they sometimes refer back to your first year mark if you end up with a borderline degree classification at the end. Could be wrong but I vaguely remember reading it somewhere?
Reply 10
It will vary from place to place. Where I previously worked in HE, representatives of the academic and administrative staff of the Faculty would hold a Board of Examiners meeting, where they sat down, looked at everyone's marks and confirmed they were correct, and then took decisions on what to do about any oddities (for example, where people had failed a module, or had mitigating circumstances). We did look at borderline grades, but only where people's final degree grade was affected (i.e. if someone had achieved 59.5% overall, the Board would probably decide to award them a 2:1 rather than a 2:2) but we wouldn't have done it for first year marks.
Reply 11
Here they have viva voce exams for students on the borderline, it is pretty much an interrogation, and they can ask you any questions they want. If you do well in it they will let you have the higher classification. They only do this for those finishing their degrees, as it would be meaningless to do it in the first and second years.
Reply 12
For final degree classification my uni rounded up the marks of people who got 59.5 or 69.5%. Someone on the list of results got 69.47% which must have been so annoying!
I didn't have anything rounded up or down and no-one had a viva either. Hard line that if you didn't make the required boundary so 60 or 70, you wouldn't get the 2:1 or First respectively.
Reply 14
I averaged 59 in my final year. I got a 2.1.
Would love to know this also; I have got my final results today and averaged out at 69.73% I honestly don't think it is going to be rounded to a 70 which I am gutted about as I worked so hard. If anyone was or is in a similar situation I'd love to hear how you fair out as its a long wait to July for confirmation of my results :frown:

Thanks
jellybean26 coventry university rounds up 59.5 to 60 and 69.5 to 70. they also round up 58 to 60 and 68 to 70 if a student didnt have any reassessment that year. you should check your university handbook. i really think they will round it up. best of luck.
I'm at Uni of Sheffield and official policy is if you get X9.45% or more your grade gets rounded up so it's worth checking with your tutor or uni website to see if your uni also has something like that.
Reply 18
Original post by Jellybean26!
Would love to know this also; I have got my final results today and averaged out at 69.73% I honestly don't think it is going to be rounded to a 70 which I am gutted about as I worked so hard. If anyone was or is in a similar situation I'd love to hear how you fair out as its a long wait to July for confirmation of my results :frown:

Thanks

At my uni anything 69.5 or above is rounded up. In addition anything over 68 is taken up if you have half your weighted credits above 70.
my have several methods for that situation (good for me as I know I'm on the border for a 2:1)

1. they just round up if they see a good number of excellent marks on individual exams/assignments

2 have some complicated criteria that if you get over a certain average and get a specific number of marks over a certain amount they give you a 2:1

3. if lets say you've got 6/7 out of 8 modules clearly 2:1s and then one or module that lets the average done then they might give you a 2:1

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending