The Student Room Group

advice for C in a level bio and chem?

hi, i need advice about my a levels
basically i've been getting about 40% in bio and chem which is an E in my mocks. but in the end of topic assessments, i've been getting strong C's (sometimes even 1/2 marks away from a B). Im sitting bio and chem a levels after half term. essentially all ive been doing for chem and bio is using the stem up flashcards and banging out exam questions.
What is the likelihood of me getting a C/D in my real exam results? x
thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by ssana.khz
basically i've been getting about 40% in bio and chem which is an E in my mocks. but in the end of topic assessments, i've been getting strong C's (sometimes even 1/2 marks away from a B). Im sitting bio and chem a levels after half term. essentially all ive been doing for chem and bio is using the stem up flashcards and banging out exam questions.
thanks.

hii, i do biology as well - similiar boat here if im being honest - been getting D's and U's in biology , i know its bad lol. but i think with motivation and dedication honestly as cliche as it sounds you can do it. just sit down force yourself to understand the content as opposed to reading it . practise applyign your knowledge and pray for the best :smile:
Reply 2
thanks.

would you say the stemup flashcards are helpful? also do you do OCR A
Reply 3
Original post by mo05
would you say the stemup flashcards are helpful? also do you do OCR A

yeah I do ocr a. Tbh stemup for bio isn’t that good. They’re very detailed and confusing so I just tend to use my own flash cards. However for chemistry they’re amazing! Mark scheme specific too!
Reply 4
Original post by colinnzcool
hii, i do biology as well - similiar boat here if im being honest - been getting D's and U's in biology , i know its bad lol. but i think with motivation and dedication honestly as cliche as it sounds you can do it. just sit down force yourself to understand the content as opposed to reading it . practise applyign your knowledge and pray for the best :smile:

Awh thankyou, I hope we both do well!!!
Reply 5
yeah I do ocr a. Tbh stemup for bio isn’t that good. They’re very detailed and confusing so I just tend to use my own flash cards. However for chemistry they’re amazing! Mark scheme specific too!

ah I see. if you don't mind would you be able to show an example of the bio flashcards. I am thinking to buy them but I don't want to buy them and end up not even using them
Reply 6
thanks.

Heya!
Make sure you go over the answers in the mark scheme as well and identify what you are missing in your answers :h: If it helps, Study Mind has free resources for bio and chem you will find useful!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 7
Original post by mo05
ah I see. if you don't mind would you be able to show an example of the bio flashcards. I am thinking to buy them but I don't want to buy them and end up not even using them

Yeah sure! I would send them but the flash cards are tracked so no one else has access to them without paying. They do have diagrams and things like that but some of the flash cards are VERY confusing. The one I’ve attached is one of the good ones x
Reply 8
Yeah sure! I would send them but the flash cards are tracked so no one else has access to them without paying. They do have diagrams and things like that but some of the flash cards are VERY confusing. The one I’ve attached is one of the good ones x

I see. thank you. such in a sticky situation haven't revised any of the content so don't even know where to start
Reply 9
@ssana.khz would you say that the exam questions for bio are relatively easy if you know the content in detail?
Reply 10
Original post by mo05
@ssana.khz would you say that the exam questions for bio are relatively easy if you know the content in detail?

depends. you can memorise the whole book and still get a C if you dont know how to use your knowledge to apply to the scenarios in the exam. like you have to be able to work back wards and twist what you know for some exam quaetions
Reply 11
depends. you can memorise the whole book and still get a C if you dont know how to use your knowledge to apply to the scenarios in the exam. like you have to be able to work back wards and twist what you know for some exam quaetions

yep im ****ed. how's your revision going

Quick Reply

Latest