The Student Room Group

Improving Chances at Graduate Entry Medicine

Ok, so the down low is i want to be a doctor. i’m 19 at the moment, finished my A Levels last year and didn’t come out with the results i had wanted. this left me unable to go to medical school and rather heartbroken. i’ve since taken a gap year in which i’ve visited 11 different countries and worked full time including extras (45hrs/week ish) for the best part of 10 months. My job means i frequently work 1 on 1 with consultants in primary care settings which has allowed me to get to know quite a few on an almost friend level. this has lead me to them inviting me into theatres with them (neuro/intervention etc) and also conducting audits where my name is the audit lead with the consultant as a secondary name, the findings of the audit i am then presenting at a trust wide audit meeting, alongside the consultant. i’m going to university for biomedicine in september and wanted to know what others are doing to boost chances of GEM? I compete in athletics at quite a high level and was vice-captain at my school. what else can i do to ensure i get a place? what experience have others got and what experience did you have if you were successful in GEM?
Your best chance of getting into a med programme is to retake your AL's and apply for standard undergrad medicine.

Not what you want to hear but it's the easiest, shortest and cheapest route.
Reply 2
Original post by Admit-One
Your best chance of getting into a med programme is to retake your AL's and apply for standard undergrad medicine.

Not what you want to hear but it's the easiest, shortest and cheapest route.

That’s not what’s happening though, i need to have a backup, chances don’t matter if you’re the best in your position so what can i do to make sure that I am?
Reply 3
Original post by Jacksmith12345
That’s not what’s happening though, i need to have a backup, chances don’t matter if you’re the best in your position so what can i do to make sure that I am?

Get a first, an extrememly high UCAT (>3200) and/or GAMSAT and excel at interviews
Or resit your A levels for AAA, get a good UCAT and be in the top half of all interviewees.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending