The Student Room Group

A levels going badly

Hi, I’ve had 2/6 a level exams so far and they’re the two topics I’m most confident on but I’ve completely mucked them up, as in I can already tell I’m in c grade at best. They’re all very close together and I’m now only just finding a way of revising that helps me. I’ve had low attendance throughout sixth form and 2 of my teachers we’ve had only intermittently across the 2 years so lots of missed lessons from myself and the teachers. I’ve really messed up the first 2 papers and I really don’t stand much of a chance for my next papers and we have minimal resoueses online to help due to taking the least chosen optional papers. I’m working weekends and can’t reduce hours, leave or take any more holiday but feel like it’s such a failure and it’s not just being negative as I know most people think they’ve messed up their exams. I’m trying to revise at every opportunity but am so burnt out as well as being closely watched by my sixth form team as I have low attendance and was close to being kicked out of sixth form. Any advice? Don’t really know what I’m asking for here as I’ve seen the generic advice but if anyone can help? It’s hundreds of hours of work that feels like it’s going down the drain and I’ve never failed any kind of test and am so scared of failure. I have no career plans and won’t be going to uni so really needed these grades but just can’t keep up. My teachers aren’t coming to lessons or helping much either and I don’t have many people to chat to about this. Thanks
Reply 1
First of all, I'm sure you haven't done anywhere nearly as badly as you think! Secondly, even if the grades you get aren't the ones you're hoping for, worst-case scenario is that you'll have to resit or do a foundation year etc. There are always other options :smile:
Original post by Mgan.k
Hi, I’ve had 2/6 a level exams so far and they’re the two topics I’m most confident on but I’ve completely mucked them up, as in I can already tell I’m in c grade at best. They’re all very close together and I’m now only just finding a way of revising that helps me. I’ve had low attendance throughout sixth form and 2 of my teachers we’ve had only intermittently across the 2 years so lots of missed lessons from myself and the teachers. I’ve really messed up the first 2 papers and I really don’t stand much of a chance for my next papers and we have minimal resoueses online to help due to taking the least chosen optional papers. I’m working weekends and can’t reduce hours, leave or take any more holiday but feel like it’s such a failure and it’s not just being negative as I know most people think they’ve messed up their exams. I’m trying to revise at every opportunity but am so burnt out as well as being closely watched by my sixth form team as I have low attendance and was close to being kicked out of sixth form. Any advice? Don’t really know what I’m asking for here as I’ve seen the generic advice but if anyone can help? It’s hundreds of hours of work that feels like it’s going down the drain and I’ve never failed any kind of test and am so scared of failure. I have no career plans and won’t be going to uni so really needed these grades but just can’t keep up. My teachers aren’t coming to lessons or helping much either and I don’t have many people to chat to about this. Thanks

Hey!

I'm really sorry to hear that you are struggling at the moment.

Firstly, grades aren't everything, I promise! I know how difficult A-levels are and how unconfident you may be feeling right now but you are probably doing better than you think you may be, and even if you achieve Cs then that is a good grade for A-levels, even if you don't think so. I know lots of people who achieved grades ranging from Es to A*s for A-levels and they have all got to where they want to be, I know that you will be able to do well too.

It's really important that you try to practice some self-care during this time, especially if you are feeling burnt out, even doing small things that you enjoy might be able to uplift your mood, even going on a 15 minute walk, listening to music or not, can be really grounding and help clear your mind. Doing things such as this will hopefully boost your mood which will help with your revision too.

If you aren't happy with your grades on results day then you can always resit them again which isn't something to be ashamed of; and if you do decide to go to university then you may be required to do a foundation year which is a very common thing, lots of people do them, at every university!

Good luck with the rest of your exams, you will be great!
Please try to prioritise your health and remember that this is only a temporary time in your life, it will pass :smile:

Nicole- First Year Law Student

Quick Reply

Latest