The Student Room Group

How many marks to get a B overall if I have an A* in Coursework (ENGLISHLIT)

How many marks do I need to get in the two papers (OCR) each if I have an A* in coursework, for a B?
Original post by 9e839q2
How many marks do I need to get in the two papers (OCR) each if I have an A* in coursework, for a B?

You've posted this in the GCSEs forum, but your mention of grades like A* and B suggest you might be talking about an A level qualification. Can you confirm which qualification you're referring to?
Reply 2
Original post by 9e839q2

No-one can answers that. You coursework isn't moderated yet and grade boundaries are set after all papers are marked.
Original post by DataVenia
You've posted this in the GCSEs forum, but your mention of grades like A* and B suggest you might be talking about an A level qualification. Can you confirm which qualification you're referring to?

A Level, sorry
Original post by 9e839q2
A Level, sorry

As @Muttley79 has pointed out, we don't know your coursework grade (because it's yet to be moderated) and we don't know what the grade boundaries will be this year.

We also don't know what mark you got for your coursework. In June 2019 an A* in Component 03 (i.e. the coursework) would have meant anything between 37 and 40 marks (out of 40). In June 2022, it would have meant anything between 35 and 40 marks. Who knows what it means this year?

Also, Component 03 is only worth 20% of the A level, so the A* (if that's what it is) doesn't have a massive impact - especially as the grade boundaries can be quite close together (the grade B boundary for Component 03 in was just 7 marks away from the A* boundary in both 2019 and 2022).

So the A*, impressive thought it is, doesn't really "buy" you much in terms of hitting a grade B overall, compared to - say - a grade B in the coursework.

Quick Reply

Latest