The Student Room Group

Do I need to resit my BTEC exams

Basically I’m doing a double BTEC I really need DD for uni but in the summer exams the results weren’t good. I got 2Ms and a P, the two most important units out of 120marks I got a M and a P then on the 90 mark one I got a M. Would it still be possible to get DD overall without resitting the exams. I’m starting to think maybe I should give up on my dream uni, I tried so hard just to get those grades.
Original post by Sklkillsme
Basically I’m doing a double BTEC I really need DD for uni but in the summer exams the results weren’t good. I got 2Ms and a P, the two most important units out of 120marks I got a M and a P then on the 90 mark one I got a M. Would it still be possible to get DD overall without resitting the exams. I’m starting to think maybe I should give up on my dream uni, I tried so hard just to get those grades.

You refer to this as "a double BTEC". Do you mean that you're doing two separate Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificates (each worth one A level)? Or do you mean you're doing a one Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma (worth two A levels)?

Which subject is the BTEC in (e.g. Computing, Health and Social Care, Business, etc.)? This impacts what units it contains, what they're all worth, and therefore the impact of the external units (the ones with exams) on the overall grade.

Do you know what mark you received for the exams? Or how many points you achieved? This is important because of the way grades work in BTECs. Assuming that we're talking about a single Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma (worth two A levels) - see question above - then you need to hit 144 points for a DD. Your merit in a 120 GLH unit is worth at least 20 points, but could be worth as many as 31 points if you we're just short of the distinction boundary. Knowing just your grade for an external (examined) unit doesn't tell the whole story. Your three exams could be worth anything between 47 points and 73 points. When your target is 144 points (in conjunction with the internal units - the coursework - this make a big difference).

Speaking generally (and not about your specific BTEC, given that it's unclear what size / subject you're studying), getting a DD is possible with those grades in the external units. If your exam marks were at the highest they could be (to still get those grades), you'd need to get a merit in most of the internal units (but a distinction in at least one of them). If your exam marks were at the lowest they could be (to still get those grades), you'd have to get a distinction in most of the internal units (but you could afford a merit in one of them).

I can give you a better / more precise answer if you're able to answer the questions above.
Reply 2
Hello thanks for replying I’m doing the Business Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma. I’ve not been given my marks just the grades
Original post by Sklkillsme
Hello thanks for replying I’m doing the Business Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma. I’ve not been given my marks just the grades

OK. Keep the number 144 in you head at all times. That's what you need to reach for a DD.

The Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma in Business consists of 8 units:
3 mandatory external units (the ones with exams) - Units 2, 3 an 6
3 mandatory internal units (i.e. coursework-based) - Units 1, 4 and 5
2 optional internal units (again, coursework-based) - Units 8 through 27, or unit 31.

As we've already established, the 3 mandatory external units could have earned you anything between 47 and 73 points, depending on whether you just scraped the grades you mentioned, were just short of the next grade boundary, or somewhere in between. Try to persuade you college to give you your marks (or, even better, points) - it's really help with the DD calculation.

The three mandatory internal units are all 90 GLH (guided learning hours) and earn you 9 points for a Pass, 15 points for a Merit and 24 points for a Distinction.

The two options internal units are each 60 GLH and earn you 6 points for a Pass, 10 points for a Merit and 16 points for a Distinction.

If you only manage a Pass for each of the internal (coursework) units, you can't get a DD overall. You're going to need mostly Merits or mostly Distinctions, the specifics of which depend on how many points you got for the internal (examined) units. (Distinctions in the mandatory internal units would be better - they're worth more!)
Reply 4
Thank you for all ur help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending