The Student Room Group

A Level OCR Pure Maths Question HELP

404887F2-1194-421F-B409-0A11ECDC8996.jpeg
I just need some direction for this question, thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Are there restrictions on what "n" can be? For instance, must n be (positive) integers themselves?
If yes, then it basically boils down to requiring the numerator to be even*. I'll leave the rest to you.

Much trickier if we are dealing with, say, n is real (then n could be, say, root(3)). Not to mention complex.
*Technically this is the one requirement, no matter what n can be. But it's much harder to find real/complex solutions.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by tonyiptony
Are there restrictions on what "n" can be? For instance, must n be (positive) integers themselves?
If yes, then it basically boils down to requiring the numerator to be even*. I'll leave the rest to you.

Much trickier if we are dealing with, say, n is real (then n could be, say, root(3)). Not to mention complex.
*Technically this is the one requirement, no matter what n can be. But it's much harder to find real/complex solutions.

The answer is n is greater or equal to √3, could you please explain to me why?
Reply 3
Original post by Matheen1
The answer is n is greater or equal to √3, could you please explain to me why?

Pretty sure it's not. For instance, n can't be 2 > root(3).
Reply 4
Original post by tonyiptony
Pretty sure it's not. For instance, n can't be 2 > root(3).

How would you work out this question because I am quite confused
Reply 5
So I'm taking n to be real. A bit unconventional, but okay.
Actually, after a bit of thought, this problem contains unnecessary information.

Spoiler

A good starting point would be to let (n^2-1)/2 be some positive integer k, then rearrange terms.

A step even before this, is to simply play around - what n makes (n^2-1)/2 equal 1? How about equal 2? 3? Can you spot a pattern?
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest