The Student Room Group

Whats the difference between social exchange theory and equity theory AQA Psychology?

A level AQA psychology - relationships. I dont really get how they're different they both want to weigh the costs and benefits?
Reply 1
Original post by Student2011584
A level AQA psychology - relationships. I dont really get how they're different they both want to weigh the costs and benefits?

Social exchange theory is more about perceiving your relationship as profitable, that’s what makes you happy in a relationship. Whereas equity theory is perceiving that you have the same as your partner, that you’re not under or over benefited.
They do both weight the costs and benefits as you say, but equity there is less economical as it’s about having equity not profitability. I hope that helps clarify :smile:
Thank you! That does help clarify. Although I just wanted to check - can you also be under benefitted in the social exchange theory or only the equity?

Original post by josiel
Social exchange theory is more about perceiving your relationship as profitable, that’s what makes you happy in a relationship. Whereas equity theory is perceiving that you have the same as your partner, that you’re not under or over benefited.
They do both weight the costs and benefits as you say, but equity there is less economical as it’s about having equity not profitability. I hope that helps clarify :smile:
Reply 3
Thank you! That does help clarify. Although I just wanted to check - can you also be under benefitted in the social exchange theory or only the equity?

The term ‘under benefitted’ only applies to equity theory.
For social exchange theory you’d call the relationship unprofitable, but only because you don’t perceive the profits as outweighing the costs (ignores the partner’s needs). But under benefitted is in terms of the needs of both partners you’re not getting as much as your partner out of the relationship.
Thanks so much, for some reason I cant give you the thumbs up but please know I want to lol!
Original post by josiel
The term ‘under benefitted’ only applies to equity theory.
For social exchange theory you’d call the relationship unprofitable, but only because you don’t perceive the profits as outweighing the costs (ignores the partner’s needs). But under benefitted is in terms of the needs of both partners you’re not getting as much as your partner out of the relationship.
Reply 5
Thanks so much, for some reason I cant give you the thumbs up but please know I want to lol!

Haha, no worries!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending