The Student Room Group

Medical professions

I want to go into healthcare. Which I’ve been wanting since as long as I can remember. I don’t really mind what but I’m studying applied science which is a level 3 extended diploma btec course. There’s such a wide range of jobs in healthcare I have no idea where to start! Id like a job that pays well though haha
Reply 1
Healthcare is quite competitive and the state of NHS is really bad. I would suggest doing an I.T related health degree like healthcare infomatics which is in demand right now. Do some research about technology related health degrees or apprenticeships. This way you have career options.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by 007King
Healthcare is quite competitive and the state of NHS is really bad. I would suggest doing an I.T related health degree like healthcare infomatics which is in demand right now. Do some research about technology related health degrees or apprenticeships. This way you have career options.

Thankyou! I’ll take a look at this
Reply 3
Original post by Eloise:)
I want to go into healthcare. Which I’ve been wanting since as long as I can remember. I don’t really mind what but I’m studying applied science which is a level 3 extended diploma btec course. There’s such a wide range of jobs in healthcare I have no idea where to start! Id like a job that pays well though haha

Good for you, healthcare is an amazing field and an extremely fulfilling profession! (as a healthcare worker, I'm clearly not biased at all haha)

I'd recommend getting a part-time job or doing some volunteering in healthcare to get more of a sense of what the sector's actually like, what interests you and what you're good at (and what you definitely don't like!) - I may be a bit biased because I developed my career goals through work experience but I really think there's nothing like on-the-ground experience to get to know where you want to be. Community carer roles with an agency are very easy jobs to get, have a super-flexible work pattern and are excellent for getting hands-on experience of patient care in a range of settings. HCA jobs are also fairly accessible (if the shift pattern works with your studies) and give you a great insight into everyday hospital life, you'll also see a lot of what nurses, technicians, analysts etc do even if you're not directly doing it yourself. If you're under 18 or don't want to commit to an official job right now there's always stuff like first aid, volunteering at a retirement home, or some hospitals have shadowing schemes for students.

Remember you don't have to pick a job right away and stick with it forever (I'm swapping to a new healthcare field atm after 6 years in another), a lot of healthcare skills are highly transferable and there's a lot of opportunity to transfer or specialize later on, so do what you're most passionate about right now and re-evaluate if/when that changes. I'd try and meet as many people in different healthcare fields as possible, or attend open days and professional events to get a feel for what particular professions are like on the ground - and think about your own skills and interests too. Do you have access to a careers advisor at the moment? They might be able to help you with this.

Don't go into healthcare for the money, that's not what it's about and should never be your motivation. All healthcare jobs pay well enough to get by, and money will come as you get more senior and find something you're really good at.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending