The Student Room Group

predicted grades + medicine unis

hi
i got my predicted grades today and i just got BBC.. i know i messed up bad but my school offers us another chance to exams in september to imrpove. i am now asking, if i just worked really hard over summer and grinded UCAT and these sept resits and i get my predicted to like AAB and if i can beg my bio teacher, AAA , do i stand a chance (assuming my pred will be AAB) of getting into med without gap year? i want to get into a decent med uni too not bad ones i do bio chem maths and epq

btw, i dont think i can do foundation year as im from selective school - this is for KCL at least..
Original post by aneer3wq3wt
hi
i got my predicted grades today and i just got BBC.. i know i messed up bad but my school offers us another chance to exams in september to imrpove. i am now asking, if i just worked really hard over summer and grinded UCAT and these sept resits and i get my predicted to like AAB and if i can beg my bio teacher, AAA , do i stand a chance (assuming my pred will be AAB) of getting into med without gap year? i want to get into a decent med uni too not bad ones i do bio chem maths and epq

btw, i dont think i can do foundation year as im from selective school - this is for KCL at least..

There are no "bad" medical schools. There are also arguably no "good" medical schools, as that frame of reference doesn't exist for them. They're all GMC accredited and the GMC considers them all equal. Further, the NHS is the only provider of postgraduate medical training posts and also sees all medical schools equally, and to ensure there is no bias they actually blind recruiters from your medical school in the specialty training recruitment process (foundation post placement is by algorithm which doesn't factor medical school).

I would suggest firstly dispelling such pointless notions of more or less "good" (and I suspect in your mind, "prestigious" medical schools). Secondly manage your expectations - are you really in a position to be choosy about which medical schools you apply to in the first place in your situation?
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
There are no "bad" medical schools. There are also arguably no "good" medical schools, as that frame of reference doesn't exist for them. They're all GMC accredited and the GMC considers them all equal. Further, the NHS is the only provider of postgraduate medical training posts and also sees all medical schools equally, and to ensure there is no bias they actually blind recruiters from your medical school in the specialty training recruitment process (foundation post placement is by algorithm which doesn't factor medical school).

I would suggest firstly dispelling such pointless notions of more or less "good" (and I suspect in your mind, "prestigious" medical schools). Secondly manage your expectations - are you really in a position to be choosy about which medical schools you apply to in the first place in your situation?

sorry i didnt mean it to come across like that, i just meant that i would prefer one in like england/london and ideally russel.
i know i shouldnt really be choosy but i think i should still try to see if theres a chance if i can get into a uni that i want surely
sorry if my post offended anyone
sorry i didnt mean it to come across like that, i just meant that i would prefer one in like england/london and ideally russel.
i know i shouldnt really be choosy but i think i should still try to see if theres a chance if i can get into a uni that i want surely
sorry if my post offended anyone

Whether the uni is in the RG or not, whether it's in England or London or not, it makes no difference in your medical career. This is the material point I am making. It's a pointless thing to base your decision on. It's like deciding on your university because of the colour of the carpets in the library or something.

Also since medical school represents a fraction of a medical career it's even more absurd - unless you have a good reason to not want to attend a medical school other than "it's not an RG uni" or "it's not in London" (there are plenty of other metropolitan cities in the UK other than London - Manchester and Birmingham being two quite notable ones with medical schools of their own). There are plenty of good ways to whittle down a shortlist (which incidentally should not start with such nonsense as "is it a Russell Group uni or not" but with "will my profile score the highest points in their shortlisting methodology to maximise my chances of getting an interview"), but RG membership is not one of them for sure, and limiting yourself to only London but not other major metropolitan cities makes it pretty clear why you are picking those is still for absurd prestige chasing nonsense.

By limiting yourself as such you are just magnifying your chances of getting zero offers and not becoming a doctor at all. It's just an extremely juvenile way to approach university selection, especially for medicine, and especially when you are already in a poor position and will only have any real chance if you focus on applying tactically.

What is more important to you - becoming a doctor or fulfilling some bizarre prestige fantasy? If the latter, medicine is probably not a good option anyway since it's certainly not considered a prestigious profession in the eyes of the general public, who by all accounts will spend much of your career abusing you and voting for governments that will make your professional life worse. If the former, then it's a meaningless distraction.

Spoiler

(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
Whether the uni is in the RG or not, whether it's in England or London or not, it makes no difference in your medical career. This is the material point I am making. It's a pointless thing to base your decision on. It's like deciding on your university because of the colour of the carpets in the library or something.

Also since medical school represents a fraction of a medical career it's even more absurd - unless you have a good reason to not want to attend a medical school other than "it's not an RG uni" or "it's not in London" (there are plenty of other metropolitan cities in the UK other than London - Manchester and Birmingham being two quite notable ones with medical schools of their own). There are plenty of good ways to whittle down a shortlist (which incidentally should not start with such nonsense as "is it a Russell Group uni or not" but with "will my profile score the highest points in their shortlisting methodology to maximise my chances of getting an interview"), but RG membership is not one of them for sure, and limiting yourself to only London but not other major metropolitan cities makes it pretty clear why you are picking those is still for absurd prestige chasing nonsense.

By limiting yourself as such you are just magnifying your chances of getting zero offers and not becoming a doctor at all. It's just an extremely juvenile way to approach university selection, especially for medicine, and especially when you are already in a poor position and will only have any real chance if you focus on applying tactically.

What is more important to you - becoming a doctor or fulfilling some bizarre prestige fantasy? If the latter, medicine is probably not a good option anyway since it's certainly not considered a prestigious profession in the eyes of the general public, who by all accounts will spend much of your career abusing you and voting for governments that will make your professional life worse. If the former, then it's a meaningless distraction.

Spoiler

i see ur point
its also not just bc of fantasy, i dont want to move out ideally and if i have to do i dont wan tto travel too far but yes ik i shouldnt be picky
thx for general tips anyways
i see ur point
its also not just bc of fantasy, i dont want to move out ideally and if i have to do i dont wan tto travel too far but yes ik i shouldnt be picky
thx for general tips anyways

Well bear in mind as London is the most competitive deanery for most foundation and specialty training posts, statistically you probably are going to have to move sooner or later as a doctor (also even if you do end up in London, you can end up having to go between very distant locations on different rotations I've heard). May as well bite the bullet and get used to living away from home sooner - at least in uni a large part of the social structure is set up around students getting used to that.

Quick Reply

Latest