The Student Room Group

Tips for Higher

I just started my highers this year; English, Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Modern Studies. I was wondering whether anyone had any useful tips on getting A for these subjects.
Reply 1
I would recommend studying in advanced and studying everyday or most days.

Active recall is a very effective study method for me so even if you just go over notes you’ve written everyday for subjects that are factual based. It helps you memorise and once you completely understand the material will help you to apply in problem solving scenarios.

A study timetable - allocating when you will revise each subject and prioritising deadlines.

Past papers!!! I would recommend doing past papers. Past papers prepare you for questions that may potentially come up during the exam or give you an indication on what materials haven’t in recent years!
Original post by hogwarts master
I just started my highers this year; English, Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Modern Studies. I was wondering whether anyone had any useful tips on getting A for these subjects.

Hi!

For Maths I would recommend doing lots of practice questions and past paper questions. I found that the easiest way to learn and understand the content. Also, take notes of any formulas and equations that you may need to remember that you aren't given in the exam. Making a list of these as you learn them will save you from having to go back through and find them all later on!

For the sciences I found flashcards the best way to remember the information, however, everyone is different so maybe try out a few different methods to see what works best for you. :smile:

Hope this helps, good luck!
Florence (Lancaster University student ambassador)
Reply 3

I did the same subjects except Physics instead of Modern, I would highly recommend using anki for English, Chem and Bio, along with frequent use of past papers (the tables with ppqs hyperlinked by topic are great).

Maths I would simply do lots of past papers.
(edited 8 months ago)
Thanks for the advice, I shall use them.

Understanding is key for Maths, Chemistry, Biology 🔥
Past Papers work is extremly effective for math
I can only speak for Maths and Chemistry but you will probably find that the course just makes sense about a month away from the exams.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending