The Student Room Group

APPRENTICESHIPS for school leavers

Hi,
Anyone doing an apprenticeship when they leave school?
Got any ideas or plans?
~ Aj
Reply 1
I did an apprenticeship as a graduate from uni.
There are so many options some paying handsomely some not so much.
Are you interested in apprenticeships?
Original post by emo94

What's considered a handsome pay for an apprenticeship?
Original post by A____J
Hi,
Anyone doing an apprenticeship when they leave school?
Got any ideas or plans?
~ Aj

I want to go to university, but I also have an apprenticeship offer. I might be forced to take up the apprenticeship if I don't get the grades for my university offer.
Reply 4
Original post by toxicgamage56
What's considered a handsome pay for an apprenticeship?

Well, I say anything between the range of £29,000- £33,000 is great for those wanting to break into industries that can change your life.

I want to go to university, but I also have an apprenticeship offer. I might be forced to take up the apprenticeship if I don't get the grades for my university offer.

Well, an apprenticeship is not the end of the world. You could gain experience in the apprenticeship, study towards improving your A-levels results and the reapply to university another year. Also, you can apply to get into university via clearing elsewhere.
Reply 5
Original post by emo94

yeahhh i am. i dont wanna go college, i want to do an apprenticeship as soon as i leave school in sep
Reply 6

you'll also get a secured job in that apprenticeship too, so u dont need to go finding one
Reply 7
Original post by emo94
Well, I say anything between the range of £29,000- £33,000 is great for those wanting to break into industries that can change your life.

Well, an apprenticeship is not the end of the world. You could gain experience in the apprenticeship, study towards improving your A-levels results and the reapply to university another year. Also, you can apply to get into university via clearing elsewhere.

the price u mentioned - is that for level 2 or or like more advanced apprenticeships?
Reply 8
Original post by A____J
yeahhh i am. i dont wanna go college, i want to do an apprenticeship as soon as i leave school in sep

Check QA apprenticeship
Civil service jobs
TFL
Trac jobs
LinkedIn
Indeed
Reply 9
Original post by emo94
Check QA apprenticeship
Civil service jobs
TFL
Trac jobs
LinkedIn
Indeed

ahh thanks sm <3
did u/are u doing an apprenticeship? any advice x
thank u
Reply 10
No worries you're welcome
My advice

Follow TikTok pages to get knowledge of apprenticeships (I'll be creating one soon to educate people on civil service jobs and apprenticeships soon)

Choose level 3 or level 4 apprenticeships that'll give you foundational knowledge of your field of interests e.g as infrastructure technician, end user computing, project management, engineering, etc then advance to higher apprenticeships if you wish in the long run

If you want a significant challenge go for degree apprenticeships from the get go.

At interviews ask those recruiting apprentices if they've had apprentices before. If they have they'll be better placed to help you pass the apprenticeship

At interview ask who is your apprenticeship provider (the company that will train you outside or during work hours) if it's QA consulting, firebrand and there are a few top tier ones out there they are better placed to help you pass the apprenticeship or train you on certain concepts in your role.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 11
Original post by A____J
ahh thanks sm <3
did u/are u doing an apprenticeshipi? any advice x
thank u

I did an apprenticeship to break into tech in 2020. I'll be joining another apprenticeship for cyber security hopefully by December 2023, I'm waiting on my interview results.

My main advice, try and gain an apprenticeship in roles that you likely have a passion for or suit your strengths. If you're not sure you can always try and then move to another till you find your place on the world. But eventually you have to reach a decision on life.
Reply 12
Original post by emo94
I did an apprenticeship to break into tech in 2020. I'll be joining another apprenticeship for cyber security hopefully by December 2023, I'm waiting on my interview results.

My main advice, try and gain an apprenticeship in roles that you likely have a passion for or suit your strengths. If you're not sure you can always try and then move to another till you find your place on the world. But eventually you have to reach a decision on life.

thank u thank u
ill defo consider ur interview advice and stuff, this all really helped thank you so much!!
good luck for ur results on the interview, wishing u all the best 4 the future! <3 <3
There's also degree apprenticeships, not sure if that was mentioned. But I'm in first year doing one currently, and it's definitely worth applying for that.
Reply 14
whats it like? doing work and learning at the same time
Original post by Lldlldkeke
There's also degree apprenticeships, not sure if that was mentioned. But I'm in first year doing one currently, and it's definitely worth applying for that.
Original post by A____J
whats it like? doing work and learning at the same time

So I pretty much have same schedule as everyone else. So assignments, exams ect all the same.
I don't do extra work... So to speak.
The difference between me and someone on the standard course is
- I get monthly salary
- I have progress meetings with a personal tutor (like every 3/4months)
- I have placements every year for a few months, except for third year, where the whole thing is a placement
- my course is 4 year instead of 3 (probably because of the placement I just mentioned?)
- a guaranteed job when I finish
- No tuition fees
- No right to loans (fair enough, since you dont have fees anyway and you're getting paid, and don't have to worry about loans too!)

Must say, very competitive,.im sure you can imagine. This specific one is a computer science degree.

If you're interested, apply through UCAS (after college / sixth form) and all instructions are sent to you :smile:
Reply 16
So I pretty much have same schedule as everyone else. So assignments, exams ect all the same.
I don't do extra work... So to speak.
The difference between me and someone on the standard course is
- I get monthly salary
- I have progress meetings with a personal tutor (like every 3/4months)
- I have placements every year for a few months, except for third year, where the whole thing is a placement
- my course is 4 year instead of 3 (probably because of the placement I just mentioned?)
- a guaranteed job when I finish
- No tuition fees
- No right to loans (fair enough, since you dont have fees anyway and you're getting paid, and don't have to worry about loans too!)

Must say, very competitive,.im sure you can imagine. This specific one is a computer science degree.

If you're interested, apply through UCAS (after college / sixth form) and all instructions are sent to you :smile:

ooh wow thats pretty cool
yh i love that, getting a job at the end of it
omg yh super competitive...
i'm doing one after i leave school actually, which is pretty soon, but yh, thanks for the info!!! Good luck to you and u future xx
Original post by A____J
ooh wow thats pretty cool
yh i love that, getting a job at the end of it
omg yh super competitive...
i'm doing one after i leave school actually, which is pretty soon, but yh, thanks for the info!!! Good luck to you and u future xx

UR gona have lightyears experience before eveyone inshallah all goes well, Seems like know what you're doing. Best of luck =)
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 18
UR gona have lightyears experience before eveyone inshallah all goes well, Seems like know what you're doing. Best of luck =)

lol jazakallah xxx
thank you, best of luck to you too, jzk for the advice, appreciate it xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending