The Student Room Group

Degree to Trade Apprenticeship? Anyone?

Hello,

I just wanted to come on here to cure my curiosity.

Has anyone ever done a degree and later in life, went for a trade or apprenticeship?

I have a degree however I’m 30 this year and I want a change. Never really enjoyed any part of the degree and do not enjoy the job either. I have a lure and interest to become an electrician however have no real idea as trade apprenticeships are normally for school leavers.

Has anyone on here started an apprenticeship at a later age? If so can you tell your story?

I suppose I feel life is too short to be doing something you hate.

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Brussel Sprout
Hello,

I just wanted to come on here to cure my curiosity.

Has anyone ever done a degree and later in life, went for a trade or apprenticeship?

I have a degree however I’m 30 this year and I want a change. Never really enjoyed any part of the degree and do not enjoy the job either. I have a lure and interest to become an electrician however have no real idea as trade apprenticeships are normally for school leavers.

Has anyone on here started an apprenticeship at a later age? If so can you tell your story?

I suppose I feel life is too short to be doing something you hate.

Thanks

Apprenticeships are not just for those leaving school these days, they’re also for those looking for a career change of all ages.

The only issues this might have on funding is if your prior study is related to the apprenticeship you want to take. For example, if your degree is in engineering, you might not be able to get an electrician apprenticeship funding.

Saying that, an employer might choose to fund the studies themselves or reach an alternative out of work study agreement with the employee.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Chris2892
Apprenticeships are not just for those leaving school these days, they’re also for those looking for a career change of all ages.

The only issues this might have on funding is if your prior study is related to the apprenticeship you want to take. For example, if your degree is in engineering, you might not be able to get an electrician apprenticeship funding.

Saying that, an employer might choose to fund the studies themselves or reach an alternative out of work study agreement with the employee.

Hi Chris2892 thanks for the reply.

I’m actually a physiotherapist looking for a career change believe it or not. I’m looking to take a leap out of healthcare and have always loved the thought of being an electrician. I did get a HND (2 years) in mechanical engineering when I left school so that could be an issue.

I’ve emailed around a lot of companies in my city to see what they say about the possibility of taking on a 30 year old as an apprentice.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending